HybridZ

280Z Halfshafts with 88 300ZX Clutch LSD?

jgkurz

Hi All,

I just purchased an 88 300ZX clutch type LSD for my "traction challenged" 77z. I've searched the forums for answers to my questions, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Here's what I an trying to find out.

1.) How do I tell if the clutch pack is still in acceptable condition?

2.) Does the diff need to be completely dissassembled to replace the clutch pack?

3.) What needs to be done to use this LSD in my 77 280z with the original halfshafts? (I will go to CV shafts when the z car fund is full again)

Thanks much!!! hail.gif

Just pop the stubs out of your factory r200 and put them in the ZX diff. I would bet the clutches will be fine. You do have to completely disassemble the diff. At least remove the carrier and ring gear. I believe the Nissan case is two piece putting it back together is easier than the solid case where you have to rotate bushings and gears into place. I'd just stick it in, then when the fund is full as you say, if it has been unsatisfactory, do new clutches with the CV shafts.