HybridZ

Auto w/rachet shifter vs manual trans

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

I'm curious if anyone has a rachet or gate shifter automatic and how it performs in roadrace/autocross applications versus a manual trans.

I've driven manuals all my life and just recently bought my first automatic. One thing I miss is that feeling of the solid, direct connection to the wheels you get with a manual.

I currently have an auto for my Z project, but I'm leaning hard toward changing over to manual. I keep telling myself that a ratchet shifter-equipped auto could perform just as well as a manual, without the need for working the clutch pedal.

You can get a Z-gate shift for both auto- and manual trans, so I think it's up your preference. I would say that the Z-get shifters are usually for drag racing or street driving where you go 1-2-3-4 and that's it. If you are changing gears in a different order, then the standard stick is right.

I thought the manual trans was one of the best handling mods I made to my Camaro. RPM matching downshifting caused the car to be less unsettled when downshifting in a turn vs. dropping the auto shifter down a cog, and the manual trans allowed you to recover from a slide much faster and from further around than the auto trans did. Also lets you go from 2nd to 4th or 3rd to 1st or some other order than 123(4) then (4)321. I also believe it allows you to better modulate wheelspin whether roadracing, autocrossing, or drag racing. Also, I kept breaking the stupid automatics, they don't like the RPM.

Guest Anonymous

Manual all the way your feeling of directness with a manual will never be felt with an auto. Plus no more worry about converter and cam matching, and screw the high stalls unless its a purpose built (drag) racer. But a manual (and high stall auto) is harder on the rear ends so I would base my choice on the rear end you have first.