HybridZ

83 T5 or 83 nonturbo 5 speed??

Guest 240hybrid

Guest 240hybrid

I was thinking of running a 83 T5 for durablity sake. I was told that the T5 is clunky/shifts rough...is this true and if it is, does it pose enough of a problem to go with the nonturbo model. Which is supposed to shift smoother than a T5. I'm leaning toward the T5 for strength. Any problems with T5's or any recommendations? One other ques. related to T5, will 87 driveshaft input spline mate up with 83 T5 output shaft?

Relative strength of the T5 is debatable. Some people say they have broken T5 and replaced with NA 5 speeds with no problems. The "clunky" shifting can be remedied with an aftermarket shifter which also improves reliability since one of the big causes of failures appears to be "overshifting" the assembly. (This clunky shifting reputation is ironic since in the land of domestic cars it is considered a "slick" shifting trans.) The plus of the T5 IMO is that it has a first gear of 3.5, the same as the early 4 speed, and more overdrive than the early 5 speed, close to that of the late car. That way you can use 3.54 gears and have more firts gear multiplication than a 3.90 equipped car with the late 5 speed and more overdrive than 3.36 gears with the early 5 speed. That is why I am doing the T5 in my car. I bought a Hurst competition plus shifter for an 83-86 Mustang and even in the garage it is night and day better than the Nissan POS shifter. I am assuming I will have to bend/modify the shift lever when I do the install, but you never know. You can pick up a stock mustang shifter which is better than the Nissan one, but it lacks the shifter stops which are important IMO.

Guest 240hybrid

I would be replacing the OEM shifter with a Motorsport auto short-throw shifter....is this an qaulity item? Also if it is good, will it take away some of the clunky characteristics or no. One more thing, what would you pay for a T5. I got one guy with a rebuilt(supposedly) for $600 and one someone else wiht a used one for $300 as is. Sound about right?

Guest 240hybrid

I think I'm gonna go with the rebuilt...he has the receipts for the work. Says had $1200 in it. I figure thats too good of a deal to pass up. malebitchslap.gif I'm running a 13 lb flywheel and a centerforce II clutch. I want to upgrade the clutch though....whats a good choice for 325-350 WHP?

Guest 240hybrid

I think I'm gonna go with the rebuilt...he has the receipts for the work. Says had $1200 in it, and I'll get it for half that. I figure thats too good of a deal to pass up. malebitchslap.gif I'm running a 13 lb flywheel and a centerforce II clutch. I want to upgrade the clutch though....whats a good choice for 325-350 WHP?

Guest 240hybrid

Just got back from Zbarn...bought that barely used rebuilt T5 and driveshaft that has been machined and rebuilt for removable U-joints rockon.gif . Picked up couple other small items also. Now I have all my drive line components except 280z stub axles that I want. I also need some wider wheels, that can wait alittle longer. I'm thinking about that flywheel from a 280zxt you mentioned mikeC.

Guest De Schmaydee

...i got my used tranny(t5) from zbarn $300...i got the aluminum flywheel and the centerfarce dual friction clutch....(i have an 82zxt)

...from what i hear the clutch is good up to 300-350hp....but not much higher than that if you race....of course the T5 (and/or axles) aint gonna take much more than that (for very long) anyway....

...i put in a roller pilot and new throw-out too....its not broken-in yet...works fine....i'm not real impressed w/the t5 (or the stock nissan) @ 300+ hp...but there aint a whole lot to choose from unless you do some mods...

...ive heard act clutches were good....and i'd like to put in a tremec tko....but i dont have a place to do anything like that...moderndriveline might fab one to spec for you but it would prbly be $2-3k....jeffp has done a whole lot of work w/that.........s

Guest De Schmaydee

i got the a-flywheel at nismo (throw-out and pilot too) got the clutch from a supplier in atlanta through a dealer here in nashville.....nobody else had one....i think the flywheel was around $350 .....s