HybridZ

Aluminaneenum Parts

AkumaNoZeta

I know I spelt Aluminum wrong, it was supposed to be entertaining. So back to my topic. I have heard that aluminum body panels are lighter than fiberglass, but slightly heavier than carbon fiber (but carbon fiber costs out the wazoo). So I was wondering if this was true because I read it off some sight a while back ago and if it was true how hard would it be to make parts removable from the unibody like hoods and fenders out of sheets? Aluminum doors would be cool, but I think aluminum windows would be a tiny bit difficult to see through. I'm curious on the fabrication part of it but mainly on the weight reduction factor. I wouldn't mind attempting to start making aluminum parts out of sheet one day. How would one do the body lines? Like the ones on the bottom of the door and the hood bulge, that would be difficult. The hatch doesn't seem like it would be too difficult because it's so smooth.

Carbon fibre isn't that bad, just depends what grade you get, the stuff they use on the A380 is quite expensive, but you can get grades of CB that is 1/5th the price of that! like $20US/m and if you only use it as as top layer, cheaper again,

As for making your own metal door panels, well thats easy, you just need some moulds and a press :-)

hydraulic%20press.jpg

How about making some custom shaped dolleys and various sizes of hammers? And I didn't mean door panels, I meant doors. Have the skin shaped from sheat and then more parts of it made of sheet and then very carefully tig it all together and have a door that looks like the original but ways a couple hundred pounds lighter, BTW thats an exageration. And I think a thin sheet of aluminum would be lighter than a fiberglass piece with a layer of carbon fiber on it...not sure though.

The problem isn't the cost of the material, but the cost of the tooling.

A carbon fiber door will cost you more in material than fiberglass, and you will have to make your own molds which will take time. Other than that, most can be done in your own garage.

You'd better be really good with sheet metal if you want to form your own aluminum doors. Or to have a part stamped out will not be beneficial because of the high cost of tooling and the low number of production.

Fiberglass doors would be so much lighter than stock that it's totally worth it.

6808003fm2.jpg