HybridZ

building a 350...parts?

dont think the mild 350 on nitrous is going to be enough. so i want to start on a turbo build. so heres what im looking for.

what would be the best combo of parts for a good turbo build? id like to be able to rev to atleast 6500-7000. and i want to hold maybe 600rwhp.

ive never done a SBC build. so im not sure of the heads/cam combo that would yield the best performance with a set of turbos.

Doesn't take good heads with turbo's on a v8 but it'll help. HP turbo systems and others like banks has made over 700hp on stock v8's. A few people here have done twins, and most agree that a single is simpler and the route to take if they were to do it all over again. That is why I am doing single.

Depends on your budget. Some vortec heads would be nice, Dart iron better, AFR's even better. I'm not sure why your rpm range is that high, you can make it at lower rpm but to get that high your going to need a solid lifter cam either mechanical or roller. Mechanical would probably be better for your aspirations IMO. But if your going to spin it that high you should consider going with a steel crank and some good rods and pistons. Most agree that the TRW blower pistons hold up very well although being heavy and low compression. Stock trw forged 4 valve relief flat tops would be a good choice IMO. Those coupled with some vortec or dart iron heads, good rods and a steel crank in a 4 bolt block with a solid lifter cam, matching springs would be a good choice IMO.

As for compression in a v8 I'd go with 8.5:1 as I have a 7.2:1 360 inch sbc motor with a solid roller and it's not very streetable even with a 4K stall although my cam is much larger. I have misquoted the specs on the solid roller before but it is actually like 240 something on the intake and 250 something on the exhaust with a .620 lift, so it is pretty big for a 7.2:1 motor which is why it is lazy on the bottom end. I think the dynamic compression is probably in the 6:1 range, maybe 6.5:1 if I am lucky.

Depending on your engine cam combination your probably looking at 7 to 10 psi to achieve your 600rwhp goal IMO.

There is some good reading in corky bells book and turbomustang forums, search and you'll find the links.

s400 turbo will get you there with room to spare. Might be able to use a mp t70 though

at least a 112 LS cam. Pick your duration and lift. Intake lift isusually alittle

higher on Forced induction. Mine is .601 intake and .597 ex

By some cheap aluminum heads like canfield or brodix.

aeromotive fuel system (a-1000 pump, 13204 regulator, 10 feed, 8 return)

Carb from a reputable shop like CSU, The Carb Shop, or C&S

SHOULD have forged bottom (I have scat I beams, trw pistons, and gm steel

crank. nothing spacial but stronger than cast)

single plane intake (victor jr.)

At least a 4 bolt block. 2 bolt with splayed caps would be better.

For Hot side you can make your own or do somthing like myself and some other poeple did/doing.

You don't need an intercooler. I run water/meth with 17 pounds of boost on 93 pump gas with only detonation to the powerglide at the track

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=134781

I ran a 10.01 @ 141 and 113 in the 1/8 before the boost got turned up. I have a stock 4 bolt main as well with stock suspension and stock r200 lsd with 235/60/r15 drag radials. If you calculate the mph and weight (3230) its around 630 to the wheels and I'm not done tuning.

600 at the wheels, 720hp at the crank and 7k rpm max rpm.

look into an aftermarket block and heads. 200cc+ heads, a cam in the 230 to 235 degree range with 114 lsa, and low 8:1 cr. Twin t04e-50 trims with stage 5 t3 turbines would work ok.

360 crank hp without boost and then add 14.7 psi should (in theory) make 720hp.

which takes a lot more beefed up parts (transmission, converter, rear end assembly, roller cage, and so on). I would avoid running more than 500hp through the stock rear end. That kind of power level really needs a straight axle setup (9 in ford).

then you need to decide on efi or carb.

drag slicks are much better than drag radials.