HybridZ

Speedometer, Odometer, Reverse lights failure.. related?

thnikkamax

The title says it all... a few hours ago I changed my gear oil, and when I was down there I noticed a small leak coming out of what i'm assuming is the sender for the speedometer/odometer.. i tightened it up a bit and shortly thereafter speedometer, odometer, and reverse lights stopped working. It's dark now and I live in a pretty bad hood to be getting under the car at this time of night.. just thought I'd throw up the quick question since "speedometer odometer reverse" yielded no results in search.

Any input out there? Gracias!

What Kind of car!!!!!

If by chance its an S30 the speedo and Odometer work off the same cable, the one you may have tightened ....... The reverse switch has nothing to do with this cable.

Be more detailed.................................

The title says it all... a few hours ago I changed my gear oil, and when I was down there I noticed a small leak coming out of what i'm assuming is the sender for the speedometer/odometer.. i tightened it up a bit and shortly thereafter speedometer, odometer, and reverse lights stopped working. It's dark now and I live in a pretty bad hood to be getting under the car at this time of night.. just thought I'd throw up the quick question since "speedometer odometer reverse" yielded no results in search.

Any input out there? Gracias!

yes it's an S30, a 71 with the engine and most of the electrical of a 76. And all three things went out at that same time.. I can care less about the reverse lights.. the speedo/odo worry me more. All I really wanted to know is if there was a connector down there that could be replaced or if it was the whole cable. I have a box with like 3 gauge clusters & harnesses so I'll trial and error the whole thing tomorrow.

Wait... what? box?

The speedo is mechanical and the only electrical connections on it are lights.

I'm pretty sure that you can just replace the cable with a GM one with little modification.

My dad had a spare GM cable from way back when he had his chevy K20. Speedo side fits, but the tranny side needs to have the proper key fitted on.