HybridZ

Boost control on Holset electric VGT's

S130Z

I have been turbo shopping for a couple weeks now and I keep coming across the Holset turbos with the electronic wastegate, specifically model HE351Ve from 07-08 Cummings. As I will be running MegaSquirt on my future turbo motor I keep wondering if anyone has wired this controller into MegaSquirt.

My question is not can it be done, because I am sure it is possible. But has anyone tried this and what results were concluded. I have read up on boost controllers being routed through the vacuum lines in the mechanical wastegates that are wired into MegaSquirt. But I have not seen anything on HBZ about this. Here is a pic of the turbo that I am talking about(threads are boring without pictures).

4c4c_1.JPG

That is not a wastegate, its a variable A/R exhaust housing. A guy rigged one up to work on a DSM. I don't have a link for it. I don't know who Jeffer was talking to because everything I have seen/heard was that a boost controller solenoid would not control it properly.

If this is not the case, I would love to know otherwise!

Evan

So I did some research on VGT's (Variable Geometry Turbos) and it changes the Aspect Ratio to create more boost at low RPM and to promote less of a "choking" effect on the engine at high RPM's. There are some cases when a wastegate is not needed as the A/R car be changed to allow for only a maximum amount of boost. Although there have been some cases in overboost without a wastegate.

My concern with this is that these Holset turbos are designed for quite a bit of boost. Fixed A/R Holsets applied to the L28 have problems overboosting as it is. I do not believe that this would be a good way to controll the boost although it would be interesting to control and see what low RPM boost numbers can be achieved.

So now the tables have turned twords the aspect of max spool times with the adjustable A/R and being able to control this via MegaSquirt.

The guy with the DSM was controlling it mechanically through a linkage setup and dsm wastegate arm (assuming we are talking about the same dude). I also know that the variable AR housing will not get large enough to effectively control boost.

However, essentially you get a variable AR exhaust housing. You can always rig up and arm and set/forget it where you like the response!

I would have done one of these in a heartbeat if I didn't have so much time and money wrapped up in what I have now.

Evan

But what I am getting at is being able to tune for the best range of boost through the RPMs. Setting your variables in MegaSquirt to allow both low boost at cruise and quick response under WOT. Sure you can manually rig the settings to stay constant, but what fun is that?