HybridZ

Rear Frame Rails/Floor Repair

hogie

I just picked up a 72 240z and noticed some wonderful frame repairs after the fact.

For the most part the rust is just on the surface and can be easily removed. However there are a couple of areas that I am very concerned about. These next two pics are the back edge of the floor pans as it rises up above the axle.

th_DSCF3711.jpg

th_DSCF3712.jpg

I am betting these are important for structural strength, but I searched and didnt see any posts pertaining to repair/replacement of the rear frame rails. If i just chop out the rust and re-weld as opposed to rivet these back to the pan will it be safe or is a replacement piece available?

Thanks

The 240Z's never had rear frame rails. What most people do is get sub-frame connectors from Bad Dogz http://www.baddogparts.com/index.htm and weld those on over the original frame rails up front and add the subframe connector to the rear. If you don't want to purchase them, plenty of people have fabricated their own.