HybridZ

Cutting down a shifter

Guest questhe

Guest questhe

Has anyone cut down a Z shifter? I want it down about 2". I was thinking of just cut and tap, but I saw that the shift stick diameter goes down near the top. So I can't thread that to the same size.

What is the standard thread for off-the-shelf shift knobs?

Guest torynich

If you have access to a machinest (I dont think that is spelled right) lathe, you can do what I did. I took my dial calipers and measured the diameter of the threaded portion of the stick, then chucked that portion in the lathe and adjusted it as straight as possible (it is not like it has to be precision). I then used a cutter to machine a portion in the middle of the stick at the position I wanted (I think it was 2" down like you want to do)to the diameter that I measured previously. After the portion is the right diameter, cut the top off that you will no longer need. Then stick it in a vice and use a die to cut the threads in it. Easy as pie!

Guest Anonymous

If you must keep the stock knob, cut the stick in half, cut out 2 inches and weld it back together. If you are going to go with an aftermarket knob, just cut off 2 inches. These usually attach with set screws so threads are not needed. A third way is to use JB weld to epoxy the stock knob to the stick but I doubt you would ever get it off again if you did that. Mark

I cut down a shifter for a friends toyota 4runner. I cut it towards the bottom, below the boot so the weld wouldn`t show. You will have to grind both cut ends to a blunt point, put the ends together and weld to fill in the "vally" to insure sufficient penetration. Start with just tacking it together, just in case the angle is off or uncomfortable.

My friend has been bangin gears for about 4 years now with no problems at all.

Guest Anonymous

After reading Tory's response I understand That I am a redneck. Just cut it, weld it, or glue it. That's all we know how to do down south. Calipers, lathe, maching metal, what great ideas. Well the dogs are after that ol coon again, let me go shup em up before the neighbor with the still shoots em. mark

Guest questhe

No, I don't need the stock knob at all.

After hearing this, I'll go check some of the aftermarket ones to see how they attach. I was planning on cutting in the car with a dremel, cause I didn't see how to get the stick out. So, maybe I'll just grind a flat spot where the set screw goes and that should be just fine.

Unless the stick is too thick for the hole in the knob. :(

Looks like I win the "cheap bastard" award again. I used my dad's pipe cutting tool to chew through the top two inches of the gearshift (No, pop, I have no idea why your new pipe cutter couldn't cut a stick of warm butter...) then drilled out the knob, wrapped the top of the stick with electrical tape, and jammed that puppy on, applying downward pressure while screwing the knob back and forth. The darned thing stayed on there for three years!

(And I *think* you can cut more off a Z's shift lever than you can a ZX's without having problems. Mine was about 3" shorter than stock. Looked great, and worked fine!)