HybridZ

Tranny Whinning!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest empracing

bearing in the back of the box when you select the gears in the back of it the clearance opens up and the noise all but disapears been there done that....twice actually! at least there ez boxs to work on

Guest Anonymous

Help?! I drove the Z today after a few months. It used to have a light knocking sound coming from the tranny and it could be felt in the shift knob. Today I was running errands in the Z :D I drove it and it sounded like normal, until I came out of the othodotics (sp?), and started it up and drove out of the parking lot it starting making this LOUD whinning (like a Star Wars special effect or something) when I was driving. so I kept the revs down and put into fourth gear as much as I could, it drove like normal in fourth, until I got home and put the car in the garage. Whenever it was idling I reliezed the knocking was gone.

I have a feeling it is a bearing, but that is only a guess! Can anyone help me out?

Guest Anonymous

But I think the cluster shaft is in contant mesh with the input shaft. I think it could be the pockect bearing in the rear of the input shaft because the output and input are spinning together it is no longer a bearing it just revovles with the 2 shafts. And in all other gears the input and output are at different speeds. :eek:

Guest Anonymous

What would happen if I go to a local junkyard and buy a tranny from the dependablity standpoint

cry2.gif

Then does anyone have a 4speed tranny laying around that they would like to get rid of(sell)?? smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Marshall ...if you have not done so...Check the oil level. I have solved many a tranny problem by adding oil to a tranny. The trannys that went out on me did not whine.. they screamed and clanged so much a trained excorisist could not calm.

The cluster is in constant mesh with the mainshaft gears. When the bearings wear/fail, the clearance increases, this causes it to whine. If this IS the problem, eventually it fails because there is insufficient contact between teeth to carry the load. Since it is quiet in 4th, seems more likelly a cluster gear problem rather than a mainshaft bearing problem. Either way, if it is a 4 speed, I would just get another one.

Guest Anonymous

Alright cool hey I'm 19 I just graduated from UTI and I was trying to test my knowledge. You probably have way more experiance with these tranny's then I do. Is that a common problem I really odviously don't know. What causes it to get quieter in 4th, any explaination will help. I've been taught but an no where near experianced. :confused:

Guest Anonymous

It is a very loud scream that I was afraid to go above 2000 rpms. I put some gear oil into it a couple months ago and it seemed to queit the knocking sound. I thought I was out of the woods until it started to scream at me!!

Thanks for all of your replies! Mark

Guest 240hybrid

I have 2 four speed, if thats what your running, that I need to get rid of to make space. One I pulled off my car not but 8 months ago, no screaming....other four speed I got with the car. I assume since the previous owner didn't discard its still good. I have pics I can send if interested. reason for removing the one out of my car was to upgraded to five speed. Will let go for low low price.