HybridZ

Single wiper

I got bored, started thinking about the Lotus Elise for some reason and rememered how they had a single windsheild wiper. I just think they are interesting and I didn't see any other threads about on here. I don't think it would look good on the Z, but I figure I'll start a thread in an attempt to spark a muse for someone who needs a little project in their free time. Heres a video if no one knows what I'm talking about

I was actually thinkin about the single wiper from my buddies 96 Mercedes E320. I know that he'll wreck it soon enough and then I can get the whole deal for free. Wasn't sure how it would look on my S130 but my wiper motors are going bad anyway.

My brother's CRX has been switched over to one wiper, and it sits p at rest like the Japanese S30 in the above video. The functionality is poor; First off, you are looking through the corner of the "pie slice" (which isn't so bad, the vision isn't as tucked into a corner as it might sound.) The really bad part is, all of your straight ahead window of view is contained within maybe 1/4 of the motion of the wiper. So, say on low speed it takes a full second to go from full down through the cycle to full down. You get .375 seconds of mud in your face, .25 seconds of clarity, then .75 mud, .25 clear. with dual wipers, the driver's window is wiped for an instant in the middle of each cycle, so its more like, .25 clear, .25 mud, .25 clear, .25 mud. That might not SOUND so bad, but when you are driving in pouring rain, cursing any windshield wiper that isn't powered by a five horse briggs and stratton (our S30s don't always have the strongest wiper motors, or even the strongest wiring and electrical system to support fancy nice upgrades.) Trust me when I say that the timing issue can be alot more frustrating than it seems at first.

3 things wrong with doing a one wiper mod on a Z (all Zs).

1: the upper edge of the windshield is concave.

Because of the shorter height length of the glass, it limits the length of the wiper you can use.

2: limits the amount of area wiped.

3: The degree at which the glass wraps around isn't constant. It increases towards the outer edges, it would cause the outer edge of the wiper to not be contact with the glass. Not really a big deal, but when combined with #2, it really limits your visibility.