HybridZ

Manual Transmission Fluid Recomendation

Guest questhe

Guest questhe

I'd like to start a thread to record what y'all think is the best MTF.

I changes out to Pennziol Synchromesh a few months ago, and now my transmission is going out of synch. It has 100K miles on it, and it has gotten colder lately, but I really think its the fluid.

I was thinking of going to BG synchroshift.

What do you think?

I'm running Redline MTL in my BMW, and it made a world of difference over stock. Much smoother and quieter. It's also more readily available in my region than Amsoil products.

I'd switch my Z over to it, except for the fact that I'm going to be losing the tranny in a few months when I drop the V8 in there. smile.gif

Guest 240hybrid

What weight gear oil do is best for 83 T5 manual, heard 75/90W....also I've seen one guy saying that hes running Automatic tranny fluid in his manual T5, and other sites saying gear oil will ruin a T5, oil passages are too small for gear oil. Is this true and should run ATF instead of Gear oil. From the looks of it, auto. tranny fluid is what I drained out of my T5 when I got it home. Who knows for sure about this?? :confused:

I've seen the same thing about ATF (Mustang guys)in the T-5's but, have never seen or heard of any of the Z guys running it like that. I have and do currently run Redline MTL in mine and it made a huge difference over the cheap stuff I had in it. The car wouldn't shift in cold temps then I changed to the Redline and it shifts perfectly no matter what the temp. I'd be intreasted in the ATF if anyone can verify that the info is correct. Cheaper and more avaible.

Guest 240hybrid

Bryan Littles site debates upon MTF and ATF. www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/borg.html. Scroll down to lubricant to read bryans thoughts and find extension to mustang t5 site. On the 2nd page at the bottom of the mustang site they talk about fluid. I'm curious about this, cause I drained ATF out of my manual T5 when I got it....I'm wanting to know what works better, MTF or ATF??? :confused:

Guest greimann

Guys,

Please take care in interpreting information you hear about T5's and what oil people are using. GM and Ford T5's use ATF because of small needle bearings used in some areas that may be starved for lubrication if a heavier gear oil was used. Nissan T5's require API GL4 gear oil, in the 80W-90 range. Don't mix and match. Use what is recommended by your service manual.

For the GM and Ford T5's I would recommend using TCI's racing ATF that has a form of molydisulfide blended in as an extreme pressure additive. It makes the transmission shift so much smoother. Regular ATF does not typically have anti-wear additives because its primary job is a hydraulic fluid. Summit carries the TCI racing ATF.

Here is a helpful link!

http://www.amsoil.com/products/tgr.html

This lube works great!

NOTE the 75W-90 "pour point" temp rating in chart!

I bought my Z in 81, first thing changed all fluids over to AMSOIL! The trany in car is original with 163,000 miles and has never had any work done to it! I use this car for HPDE`s and the trany shifts better and smoother than some new tranys!

I`ve been a Amsoil dealer since 82 and use products in everything I own all the way down to my mower!

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah I figured on going with the MTF 75w/90 . I have a haynes manual but was unable to find a weight recommendation for a 83 T5...the reason I was curious is that as I said before, I drained ATF from my manual t5 when I got it home?? :confused: Maybe just for storing the tran.?? I'm gonna stick with the fluid that goes in a stick, but was just curious to see what others are running. thanks for all the info. 2thumbs.gif