HybridZ

240z Roof shell Wanted

Guest 1969yellowz

Guest 1969yellowz

One of the trees on my back yard fell off on top of my 1970 240z :confused:. The roof part came down. I am looking for the 240z metal Roof shell to replace it. I am thinking of cutting the all 4 legs and weld a new one in. If you guys have one please let me know.

It also broke the rear hatch glass. Mine has the vertical lines on it. I am also looking for the glass.

I am Southern CA, please call 714-797-8859.

Guest 280ZForce

I have a clean 280z shell that is ready for the scrap yard, panels have already been cut off it, the roof is in good shape. it's the same as the 240z. You're more than welcome to come cut it out for $50.

I'm in Corona, so I shouldn't be too far from you.

After just having done this in august, my advice is thus:

You can't cut the roof like you are thinking, and still have a legal car in a lot of states. On top of that, you are not likely to be able to reweld all the different layers of steel, and thus will get a much weaker structure after the replacement. Besides, you'd have a really hard time getting the windshield in afterward if you mess up at all. Even 0.093" error will require cutting the glass, if you can even get it in at all.

Anyway, best to get a 280Z roof, as they (i think) have a reinforcing rail along the underside of the roof skin, making it much more ridged in the end, and prevents pressure dents from forming while handling the skin during the swap. Any roof from '70 to '78 will fit, as long as it's a coupe, the 2+2 roofs are obviously different.

To do this, you'll want the donor roof cut at the A and C pillars, and your roof will be removed by cutting all the spot welds along the edges. You will need to remove the windshield, and drill the spot welds along the top edge of that, and then inside the drip rails. When you get to the back edge of the roof, just over the hatch, you'll have to decide where you want to make your cut, I could not find any spot welds here. Likely, i wasn't looking hard enough, they are probably there. Remove the lead filler at the top of the A pillars and C pillars, and then place your cuts carefully so as to make for an easy butt weld later. Practice on your crushed roof for removal, then do the donor roof.

If your drip rails are crushed too, then I would scrap the shell. You'll have to get a frame shop to do that work, since the whole unibody will very likely have been tweaked. Ultimately, it's your car, if the rails are crushed and you can get it back together, take lots of pictures for us! A lot of us could use the information.

Guest 1969yellowz

Thanks guys for the help. It's going to be a slow process of fixing the car .... I'll take pictures next.

EvilC, I am in Riverside, not to far from you, give me a call, I'll check out roof shell.

Thanks.

Guest 1969yellowz

To somebody named William ... you left me a voice message about the roof shell you have but you didn't leave me your phone number. Please call me back 714-797-8859. Thank you.