HybridZ

Dyno Results

HB280ZT

evildky,

The 55 lbs/min was the infromation that James Thagard gave me when I got the turbo from him. He also said it was a Hi/Fi wheel which I have never been able to get a map for, so I am guessing that the wheel is really a 60-1 and is not that large compared to other people are running on a Z.

Harry

I have the same turbo. It's the stock turbo from a 92-94 non idi ford 7.3 turbo diesel. It's a unique h-trim t04b and I've been told by several turbo builders that it flows 55lbs/min when inquiring about upgrades. It's prone to surge which makes it not the best choice for a stockish cam/head combo on the L engine. I had nasty surge issues with the .63 hotside but I'm happy wiht the .82 and the car is a lot stronger on the top end.

Brady,

I have checked all of my gounds and they were good to go, I even added extra ground connections when I setup my new wiring with the MS install. So that being said I will check them again. Here is my wiring setup.

DSCN2179Medium.jpg

As for the wastegate opening early that maybe happening as I am running the WG off of the output of the turbo and the MAP sensor is manifold pressure. So maybe I should try to run both off of the manifold again. I have been using both to fix the same type of problem but only under part throttle. So I may have to change that and do another dyno run to see what happens.

So anything else I should try? Have you looked at the msq to see if anything looks screwy?

Thanks for the help and to make me think!

Harry

Do you have a ground strap between the chassis and the motor? I've seen a few issues caused by bad/no ground between the engine and chassis. Also look at the components in your EFI setup. A bad sensor/injector/IAC etc. can cause a heavy power draw at certain points that the MS can't compensate for.

Yes I have 2 ground straps between the engine and the chassis. As for the sensors will have to see about checking them when I get a chance. Still working on a way to get the alternator exchanged for a new one.

Thanks for the help.

Harry

I guess that is a T04B-h3 compressor. With a L28, that turbo is over the surge line under 3000 rpm at low boost and gets into a safe range after 3500 with 14 psi.

with a stage 3 turbine and 8.3:1 cr you will get much better results with a MSA stage 1 turbo cam or even a stock NA cam would be an improvement.

decent numbers. good job! thanks for sharing.

Pyro,

So you think it is a H3 compressor wheel, hum, will have to look into that. Thanks for that info.

I have also been thinking about a new or better cam the only issue is the cost and finding someone in my area to set it up correctly.

As for the dyno numbers I hope to get it up above what I have done in the past. Which was 298 rwhp at 5200 rpms with 325 ftlbs of torque at 4100 rpms.

Harry

check out this site. They have most of the T04B compressors listed.

http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/

I would try the stock NA cam to see if that helps. Put in the cam that was in the N42 head. Has 8 more degrees of duration which would give another 500 rpms of usable power and make more hp.

Easy to install a cam. You could have a stock na cam ground to a 256/248. Just leave the exhaust lobes stock and have the intakes ground to longer duration (good for a turbo engine). Then use 0.160" lash pads only on the intake side. Deltacams can do a regrind for 60.00 and Courtesy Nissan sells lash pads for 3.00 each. Should get 1,000 more rpms out of the engine, and therefore more hp. Use the stock springs and retainers.

Pyro,

I now wish I had the N42 cam but I got it as a bare unit.

So that being said which cam should I look for to send to Delta to have the intake side reground to a 256/248? However from research I found that the exhaust side is also very important on a boosted engine, be it turbo or supercharged?

If I do this I will have to do alot of research on how to set up a L28 head myself, fun, fun!! Of course I will start with the search button here. But if you know of other places to reference please let me know.

As for more rpms I am not sure the bottom-end can handle more then the 6500 rpm's I am already turning. Well not unless I have it all blueprinted and balanced.

Thankd for the help.

Harry

The msa turbo stage 1 cam has 10 more degrees on the intake as compared to the exhaust. 260/250 degrees I believe.

mild turbo cams typically have less exhaust than intake duration so the turbine gets hit will a more "pure exhaust stream" (fast and hot). Plus less duration on the exhaust limits the overlap between the intake and exhaust.

do a web search on racer brown cams. There is a nice write up on turbo cams.

You maybe turning 6500 rpm but peak hp is long gone by that point using the stock turbo cam.