HybridZ

Plastic Composition Of S30 Consoles

240Z2NV

I am hopeful that one of you out there can say [with CERTAINTY] what type of plastic the console is made of.... Perhaps not in practice 30+ years ago, virtually all plastic pieces nowadays have a stamping on the back with a code that depicts exactly what type of material it is, and my console has no such mark.

I became fairly competent at repairing the fairings on my race bike, and that was ABS [mostly]. I am hopeful that one of you can respond and say with certainty that the consoles are as well. That way, I can make a very small repair using my tried-and-true technique.

Thanks...

I believe it is FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) like that found in the early sugar scoops...

That's a "no" for sure on the scoops. The material of the console does not have the same composition as the scoops do (I know, I have cracked both...)

Davy

I can tell you with a certainty it's not PVC (or I'd suppose any of the vinyl esters), though PVC adhesive will soften the surface quite a bit, enough to disfigure but not enough for a bond. Also, not polyester as used with fiberglass - not even a surface melt with that. I have not tried "model cement", like you'd use for a plastic model, but that's next on the list.

You might guess I have a torn up interior, eh?

The cement that Tap Plastics sells in the red & white tube [#16 ?] is a generic adhesive. It seems to be holding fine. The repair that I made wasn't a super high-stress point. When I repair ABS, like motorcycle fairings, I use abs shavings from a scrap piece of bodywork, then mix it up into a 'paste' with ABS cement sold at places like Home Cheapo. Apply the 'paste' over the chamfered crack, and it holds surprisingly well. Then sand and finish...