HybridZ

How to tell 87 ZXT is LSD when both offered?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

:confused:

Help!!! I bought a used 1987 R200 from a 1987 300ZX turbo (junkyard sale), assuming it would be an LSD. I was told 87-89 300ZXT came with LSD. But now, I hear talk of 87 1/2 or after 4-87 being an LSD. How can I have this junk yard check if it's an LSD before they ship? Date on door plate of car? Finned cover? I heard some non-LSD had finned covers anyway, but not on the 300ZXT, it WOULD be a fiined cover if LSD??? Is that true? Helppppppppppppppp!

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone know if the earlier 300ZX cars (before LSD) ever had the finned cover? Or does non-turbo mostly have a non-finned cover, even in 87-89? I am just talking ZX ony (NOT SX). I am just wondering how much I can trust the "finned" cover becasue it IS finned on this 87 300ZX turbo. Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

The 1987 LSD had 3.70 gearing..(while few non Turbo (?) 80's had this gearing. Take off the rear plate and rotate the ring gear until you see these numbers stamped in the edge facing you: "37.10" is a 3.70 but the suggestions by Moby and Aux. are a better detrmination.So if it has a clutch pack, rotates the same direction and has 37.10 stamped on the ring gear it must be a LSD

Guest Anonymous

I wish I wasn't in Michigan and the part in Calfornia! I bet they won't bother with all that now that they have my money, but I will ask them just the same!

Guest Anonymous

Have them put it in writing that it is a 1987 300zx turbo R200,3.70 to 1 gearing LSD not a viscous (all white 1988 SE) slip differential.. Most likely it is a LSD

> turn one halfshaft. if the opposing side

> halfshaft spins in the same direction you

> turned yours, it's limited slip

Not true. Often an open diff will do this just from age and old diff fluid. Also, a welded diff will exibit this same trait. Conversly, a worn out LSD may show the halfshafts turning in opposite directions.

As I've said thousands of times - TAKE THE COVER OFF AND LOOK INSIDE!

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone have a photo of what a LSD looks like inside under the cover versus a NON LSD? I am not sure the Mickey-mouse outfit will know what they are looking at, and I don't know what to tell them! I see photos of what it looks like on a car, but never saw either under the cover. Or is there somekind of tell-tale sign he can look for????