HybridZ

Rear end options

Guest Dan0myte

Guest Dan0myte

Hey. I'm working on getting a 1JZ-GTE for a swap into a 240Z right now, but have a quick question about rear end choices. First of all, I just don't see the stock diff and axles cutting it for my purposes, so they have to go.

My first option would be a kind of mish-mash of Nissan parts.

• [*]
280Z Moustache bar[*]240SX Viscous LSD R200[*]Axles? No idea what to do here[*]240SX Rear brakes w/ MM kit[/list:u:7ba1ed6a9f]I like that plan as most of the parts are quick, cheap and bolt-in, other than the axle problem. I saw on one page, someone used the front CV shafts from an AMC Eagle 4x4 car to mate an LSD R200 to his 240z. Anyone heard of this?

My other option is that a lot of 1JZ-GTE front clips will come with the whole rear IRS from the Supra/Soarer it came from. This will include a 4.11 Torsen Rear LSD. I'm assuming trying to transplant this whole IRS would be similar to Scottie's Corvette IRS install. But all the parts will be there, and I'll get the bonus of the stronger parts & parts made to work with the engine.

Anyone want to help clear up these problems? I'm not sure what to do.

The R200 is plenty stout, as well as the rest of the Nissan parts. Dragstrip with slicks is where you'll break stuff. The 3.70 clutch LSD from an 87-89 turbo 300zx is the easiest way to go. You can swap in 280zx cv halfshafts using the ZX flange and 240 stubs or Ross Corrigans adapters (modernmotorsports.com) with the stronger 280 stubs. The 240SX diff is the "short" pinion I believe and will not swap into an early Z. You might be able to use the guts, but no guarantee one way or the other.