HybridZ

Weld up the diff?

Hitman47

Guest Anonymous

half shafts are u jointed (on both ends)swing axle tubes that connect on each side to a stationary rear differential and a stub axle on the hub carrier ie: Independant Rear Suspension (IRS) Welded up diffs are / is a very old hot rod cheap welding technique to lock both drive axles to turn at the same time..ie: Limited Slip Differential (no slip at all )Ya need to do some research and reading Hitman.Here is the listing on Z diffs. 160:light 180:medium 200:heavy and the diff in the Q 45 is: heavy duty.

I,m thinking of welding the r-200 in my 1975 280Z. My question for you guy's is will the stock half shaft's and U-joints hold up? It's driven on the street, the motor is rated at 355hp, the tires are 225-50-16 z-rated.

I drove with a welded diff for 2 summers.. VERY hard on the arms to steer. I wore out new U joints rather quickly... very hard on my street tires they drag the inside wheel in corners, and I found for tight tracks, the car wanted to understeer noticeably more.

GREAT for hole shots drag racing!! My car consistantly pulled under 2 sec 60'ft times with reasonable street tires.

In general I would not recommend this solution for the street... Parking lots alone where murder, and pushing the car around in the shop needed 4 to 6 guys to push it!!! (dragging the inner wheel remember)