HybridZ

L28ET ECU question

I'm looking at installing a '81 L28ET engine complete with harness and ECM into my '77 280 but it came out of an automatic car. Can I use the ECU from an automatic with a 5 speed, I know the ECUs have different part numbers between manuals and autos.

• 2 weeks later...
dose anything need to be jumped to get rid of the lock that dosen't let you start the car if its not in N?

That doesn't have anything to do with the ECU. The starter interlock will be part of the chassis wiring for the car. If you are switching a manual trans into a car that was auto, you have to locate the wires in the trans tunnel that went to the switch on the auto trans. If you jumper (connect) those wires, the car will start in any gear whether or not the clutch is depressed. If you are swapping in the BW 5speed out of a turbo ZX, it has a neutral switch built in so you just plug that in and the car will only start in neutral. That's what I did on my 73.

I don't think the N/A 5 speeds or 4 speeds have a neutral switch but I could be wrong on that one. In that case you either live with it or wire in a switch on the clutch pedal to force you to have the clutch pressed in to start.