HybridZ

fuel filter change TIP (1980 ZX)

PhilbertZ

So I changed my fuel filter today and found my factory FSM was WRONG!!

The relay you pull to kill the engine is NOT the one closest to the engine and the passenger seat....but instead is the one closest to the FENDER and passenger seat. It may be a double sized relay in some cases, but mine were all the same size, and the one I had to pull was green (not sure if that matters to everyone else).

but I thought it was odd that my 1980 specific FSM was so darn wrong. I had to check my generic CHILTON/HAYNES manual to get the right one....after my engine had been running (sans wrong relay) for 10 minutes)!

Just something to note for later :)

Edited by PhilbertZ
wrong word: fuse/relay

• 2 weeks later...
Funny, I've found many things in my Haynes manual that are wrong! From what I hear, they are better than Chiltons.

And now for my question to you. What made you decide to change the fuel pressure regulator?

I believe haynes and chilton are actually one in the same - or at least the same publisher. Take a chilton and look at the inside cover - you'll likely see something with reference to "haynes" publishing.

I changed my fuel filter ("pressure regulator"...is that part of the filter unit?) because the old one looked like it hadn't been changed in a while and it was a cheap, easy tune up replacement task that will hopefully give me some better gas mileage/performance soon.

this one was easy compared with my 87 4runner...the fuel filter there (did that last week) is located ON the engine block, between the starter and the block. I had to remove the front passenger wheel to access it. A real PITA!