HybridZ

1jz cam install question (maybe 7m as well)

Meph

Im in the process of rebuilding my JZ and I see in a PDF I got that on cam cap 1 (large one at the end) your suposed to use some gasket maker on the mating surface. Can anyone confrim this or let me know their experiences with it?

so you could just cover the entire mating surface? there are 2 channels that run on bottom of the cam cap that would get plugged and i'd think the excess would get into the journal as well as throw off the gap? Just seemed odd in those respects.

Thanks guys

I installed my crower cams over 2 years ago so I hardly remember, but you don't need to use that much silicone. The 2 chanels that you are talking about are supposed to be where the silcone goes and kind of holds it in place. Just don't go heavy with it or it can cause problems. Its just to keep oil from leaking into the front of the timing cover and around the valve cover gasket. The biggest bitch is shimming the cams right, it takes time and patience.

108_0895.jpg