HybridZ

smog concerns

I live in arizona and it is time to smog my car next month. Just looking for some feedback on whether or not it will pass. I am allowed 400 hydrocarbons. I have a sbc 350 with a lunati voodoo 268 cam. it is not real aggresive but there is overlap. do you think I will be able to de-tune it to pass, or is it going to be a shade tree weekend of putting a stock cam back in so I can get another 2 year pass. I would love to hear from someone that was in the same situation to see what works.

If you want to somewhat cheat the system cut small holes all along the very top of your exhaust after the cat, the purpose is the create an exhaust leak big enough to not sound like an exhaust leak and big enough so that what little exhaust does make it out the other end doesnt contain enough pollution to set off a red flag.

Try to find a shop that has an emissions analyzer so you can have the carb set and timing retarted some, to see if it will pass. Changing the oil and adding some denatured alcohol to your gas tank should help also.

Another option: If you have another car to drive and a garage, you can register this car as an antique and get classic car insurance on it. You don't have to go through emissions at all in AZ, if you do that.

I did this over a year ago, right after I did my n/a turbo swap set-up. I now can do any engine swap I want and don't have to worry about testing.