HybridZ

IS there anywhere to get a prefabbed quest alternator bracket for the RB?

streeteg

Well as you guys know the stocker pushes about 70 and sounds like a pinto if youre driving with the headlights and stereo on at the same time. I have a brand new quest unit, but in central jersey there arent too many shops in a 50 mile radius that can fabb it up for me and I would trust it. I tried to email AZC to see if he could do one for me, but I was wondering if anyone else knew of a place to get a prefabbed bracket....

I feel like its common enough where its a possibility....

Anyone?

did you already get the quest alternator?

I got a qx4,350z alternator that was 110 amp for my z31, and instead of extending the stock bracket (which i would imagine looks quite like an RB bracket), it was cut, and a hole or two drilled...

This made it so much easier because the pivot bolts are on the other side of the housing, so it makes the adjustment bolt tab closer to the engine, rather than further... which would require an extended curvature of the standard alternator bracket.

I posted on z31 performance here:

http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14324&start=0

but it looks like they've trimmed the pictures from the database due to issues this passed week with user/storage overload.

your bracket can definately be made with a 6x6 sheet of metal, bolted to a bench, and a drill press and some cutting oil.

look here: http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=403862&postid=4473206

I would just make a squared off S shape (2 Zigs, 1 Zag), and mount it in a vice and hammer it with a brass mallet until it turns a 90 on both ends. Heat it up if you gotta, and it looks like it will work out just fine with the rest of what's in the thread.

3/8ths steel is probably overkill. 5/16ths or maybe even 3/16'ths will be good.

I used a 93 quest alternator and all I needed was a spacer to make the bottom pivot part a tight fit and a little half by one inch piece of metal to extend the upper adjustment bolt enough to reach the stock bracket. I don't know if you have tried it or not but you should hold up the alternator to the bracket and see if you can figure something out yourself. Ill see if I can get a pic later today