HybridZ

fox body subframe just for conversation sake

has annyone done the measuring to se if the 82-93 ford mustang k-member would fit under a z car? of course it would take some welding and fab work... but if it wernt too bad ... it would be worth it because ud get the cobra big brakes and all the aftermarket tubular a-arms and coil overs and the ps rac and pinion. just wondering ??????????????????????????????

I agree with TheNick, it wouldn't be worth it. I want to put the Mustang II type suspension on my car when I get to it because that, along with the new frame rails that my car desires, I will be able to cut out the inner fenders because they are no longer needed since there wouldn't be any struts.

Well you would cut off the TC mounting brackets and install a K-Frame in there - the rails themselves are 638mm between them and 65mm approx wide, so K-Frame mounts would have to be in that ball-park to "bolt-up" underneath the Z chassis rails!

I am making my own crossmember, which will resemble a boxy K-Frame, this was so I could use the S4/5 RX7 suspension and better mount the Subaru PS Rack - and mount my Engine properly as the engine mount locations are located towards the centre/back of the engine!

How would the K frame suspension handle when compared to our stock Z setup? Purpose being road racing not drag racing. I see many people use these type of kits for dragsters but not road racing, would this be a horrible blunder when applied to a road racer?

thenick- then hav u thought about the 97 to new corvette front subframe? it is aluminum, and has all 4 control arms and transverse leif springs in it the only bracket youd hafto make is to mount the upper shock bolt, and it would be relativly cheep in the junkyards or ebay,that is if it were as wide as the framerails on the z... that was gonna be my other suggestion/question.

mikedc528- i would think it would make the z car handle more like a fox body mustang. i do know that there are some road racing guys with fox mustangs, and they do pretty well. thecorral.net is a forum just like this one for mustangs, and there is plunty of fox info on there, go check it out.

You guys don't know much about Mustangs... :-)

It would take some work to do, but you could get an aftermarket Fox chassis Mustang K-member to work. Griggs offers a SLA front suspension setup for the Fox Mustang chassis and I just put the GR40 SLA front system under a '91 LX that I'm building for a customer. It has fully adjustable custom LCAs and standard roundy-round fully adjustable UCAs with inverted Koni shocks, coil over springs, spherical bearings, big truck ball joints, billet aluminum spindles, and a pretty trick anti-roll bar setup.

Hi again John, I went looking and searching since i stumbled on this thread last night. I found an adjustable cross member for the Mustang II suspension that I think might work for the Datsun. Take a look, tell me if this is at all pheasible, and the big question here being, "Would this be an upgrade over the stock Z suspension?"

http://www.heidts.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=40/category_id=99/home_id=70/mode=prod/prd40.htm

The Mustang 2 front suspension stuff is fine for a hot rod or a street cruiser. IMHO, they suck for any kind of performance car. I've bump steered and aligned three cars that received a Mustang 2 suspension and would not install one on a car where handling is important.

johnc- thats exactly what i was thinking... the tubular k-frame and lower control arms, and then you could also use the mustang sway bars(wouldnt take too much fab work), there is a ton of options for sway bars then, and the 4.6 and 5.0 guys could bolt in theyr motors, the other guys would need to fab some motor mounts but that aint all that hard, and youd get the big ball joints,brakes,and all the aftermarket support for the mustang.

im not talking about the mustang II suspension ! ... that suspension sucks... im talking about the newer 82-93 suspension with the single lower control arm,strut, and seperate coil spring. not what mikedc528 found on the heidts web sight. guys go look at corral.net !!!

johnc- thats exactly what i was thinking... the tubular k-frame and lower control arms, and then you could also use the mustang sway bars(wouldnt take too much fab work), there is a ton of options for sway bars then, and the 4.6 and 5.0 guys could bolt in theyr motors, the other guys would need to fab some motor mounts but that aint all that hard, and youd get the big ball joints,brakes,and all the aftermarket support for the mustang.

im not talking about the mustang II suspension ! ... that suspension sucks... im talking about the newer 82-93 suspension with the single lower control arm,strut, and seperate coil spring. not what mikedc528 found on the heidts web sight. guys go look at corral.net !!!

uh yeah that suspension absolutely blows monkey balls. You DO NOT want to put a MacStrut Mustang suspension under your Datsun.

The best solution would be what JohnC posted - aftermarket Mustang K-frame with Griggs SLA conversion.

Expensive yes, worth it? Maybe.

Better option I think is to do something like what someone else suggested - find a car that already has a good front suspension (corvette) and try to swap that over. In reality it wouldn't be that hard - you would almost certainly have to narrow the crossmember to make it fit under the Z fenders.

Hell a Z32 front suspension wouldn't be a bad place to start...although I don't know if it all attaches to the crossmember...

thenick- i dont know how much you know about the fox body suspension, but you might want to do some research on it, as there are guys doing over 1 lateral g in the skid pad with that suspension in mustangs, and there all using bolt on parts to do it. ... i was the one who suggested the corvette suspension by the way.

As I said above, you guys don't know much about the Fox Mustang suspension.

Yes, in stock form it has no front caster, roll understeer, roll steer, and then snap oversteer when the rear suspension binds. Lowering the car without any other changes makes things much worse. Careful purchasing and installation of parts from Griggs, Maximum Motorsports, and Steeda can significantly reduce these problems. Spending a whole lot more more with Maximum and Griggs can completely eliminate these problems.

And lateral Gs are a very poor measure of a car's handling. That's just a measure of grip, not how well it can get around an autocross course or race track.

johnc- all im saying is that its not as bad as thanick is saying, and it would prolly be better than what the z car suspension is stock. ... that is if it were even feesable to do ... if it wernt too much fab work. i know the fox suspension isnt that good.

and it would prolly be better than what the z car suspension is stock.

No. A stock 240Z front suspension is better then a stock Fox (through 93) Mustang front suspension. Once you start modifying both, then they are a basic MacStrut and you can make them equally as good.