HybridZ

Need advice on LSD gear oil and mount

jgkurz

I recently purchased an 88 300ZXT non-viscous LSD and would like advice on what brand and viscosity of gear oil I should use with this differential. I prefer synthetic, but will use what ever is best.

Lastly, if I swap the side flanges and the pinion flange will it bolt right into my 77z? I would like to keep the finned cover if possible.

Thanks much

I pulled the cover on mine and cleaned it out really good. I then put a new cover gasket on it. For diff. fluid I put in Valvoline durablend semi synthetic 80/85 I believe and also added LSD additive. You can pick it up at any Autozone.

Mike

The cover itself I believe has to have the fins ground off.

But, I am not positive, so either play with it or look into it further...

Some LSD units chatter if you dont use gear additive (with synthetic), not sure about the Nizzan stuff though.

As noted above, finned cover can't be used without mods. I know many, including myself and other customers running the LSD's without finned covers and they've had fine life out of them. I don't recall which synthetic brand I run but whichever you choose, please drive your car slowly in tight figure 8's after install (this gently gets the oil in between the plates....otherwise you can burn them dry if they're not lubed b/t as they should be)....if it chatters at all then add some GM Posi Additive (even quicklubs often carry this additive) progressively until your chatter is gone (ie. I haven't found it to require a full bottle).

Enjoy cheers.gif

I'm going to try and use the finned cover for a couple reasons. The extra oil will provide better cooling for "track days" and it looks cooool. coollook.gif

Has anyone actually done the modifications to the finned cover for installation in a 280z? I'd like to avoid the labor of mocking up the diff in the car if possible.

Thanks!!! hail.gif