HybridZ

74 260Z wiper motor troubleshooting question

Ok, I'm trying to determine if my wiper motor is shot or not on my 74 260z. I've got the the intermittant style switch on my steering column. I can hear the relay's clicking when I turn the wiper switch, and when I push the washer pump button. Putting my ear close to the wiper motor itself, I can hear small clicks like it is trying to move. Fuse is ok as well. I've got power out to the motor, so I'm thinking the motor is bad.

I have since removed the wiper motor from the car and have it on my workbench. I have removed the wiper arm linkage. I am thinking the motor is locked up, but is there a good bench test to try? Should I be able to rotate the stud on the motor that holds the wiper linkage? Right now I can't rotate it, and I don't want to force it.

The car had been sitting for several years when I got it, so I'm not sure if the wipers ever worked or not. Any suggestions welcome. If it is fried, I may look into the Honda wiper motor upgrade. I'd just like to know for sure before I go buy a new wiper motor. Thanks, guys. -Rod

Ok, I think the motor might be fine. I think the power going to it is in question.

I bought the car that had been sitting in a garage for about 8 years, no engine. I've been slowing putting everything back in the car, and the wiring was the previous owner's hack job at converting it for a v8. I have not yet purchased an automobile battery, and have been using a rechargeable 14.4V portable drill battery as a power source to check all the electrical circuits. I've gotten everything to work, including headlights, heater motor, horn, etc. I'm thinking that the little battery will allow me to check 12V through the electrical system, but doesn't have enough 'umph' to kick on the wiper motor.

I'm going to take the battery out of my daily driver this weekend and hook it up to see if that will drive the wiper motor. If that doesn't do it, I'll go with the Honda Accord wiper motor upgrade. Thanks again for any input. -Rod