HybridZ

76 280z need some help with a price

nikesb1111

Hey i just got a 76 280z from a buddy. It wont start, it turns over but wont start. Its been sitting since 1993. The clutch pedal also just bounces back and forth. What could be the problem with starting? Im going to check for spark tomorow but what kind of fuel pump do these have? where is it? Also what are some other problems that are comon? Lastly what would be a good price for this car, it has barely any rust, the interior is in good shape, it only has surface rust in some areas like the rockers and a dent on the hood. Any info would be great, thanks.

you'll be able to find all the answers to your questions through the search feature at the top of the page. Using descriptive thread titles will help people find your thread as well, as you will find out while searching.

As for not starting...it could be anything. Have you checked for spark or fuel? The fuel pumps are located just in front of the fuel tank. It's an electric in-line pump.

If you can get us some better information, we'll be able to help you better.

Ok so i havnt acually payed for the car yet, its my grandpas friends car and its at my grandpas house. Its been sitting there for 16 years. I talked to the owner and he wants to sell it but he doesnt know a price. He told me to look into it and get back to him. So im just trying to figure out whats wrong with it. Im looking for a good summer project as i just finished my last one. He said it ran great when he parked it there but that was 16 years ago so. The car turns over, im going to get a battery and check for sprak today as the one in it was shot even jumping it didnt work well. The rear wheels are locked up. The clutch pedal just bounces up and down, the throttle sticks and it needs some body work. Heres some pictures. What do you guys think a good price for it would be. Its a 76 280z with an l28 and a 4 spd. Any feedback would be great, thanks.

IMG_7035.jpg

IMG_7036.jpg

IMG_7037.jpg

IMG_7038.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

IMG_7040.jpg

IMG_7041.jpg

IMG_7042.jpg

IMG_7044.jpg

IMG_7046.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7048.jpg

IMG_7049.jpg

You might want to check the rust on the floor pans and frame rails. The fuel tank is more than likely rusted. Looks like the dash is crack free that is plus, but if floors and rails are shot, it isn't going to be worth more than a couple hundred. That sunroof is not helping the value any.

The body looks pretty straight. The rust is not as bad as it could be, but like said before if the rails and floor boards are shot, you'll have a lot of work ahead of you. There are aftermarket rails and floor pans you can buy and weld in, if your heart is set on it.

The sunroof actually takes away from the value, if anything. It really hurts the structural integrity of the car, since the roof is a major component in these cars.

Unless it fires right up with a little bit of tweaking, I'd offer him $500-$800. But then again, I'm from the west coast, and the prices actually vary quite a bit from coast to coast.

I checked the floors and rails and theres pretty much no floor, the passenger seat is through the floor and both have big holes everywhere. On the other hand as far as i can see the rails are pretty good. heres some pics of the floor. Im going to call him tonight so what do you think a good price would be?

IMG_7050.jpg

IMG_7051.jpg

Not more than 400, if it was me. Believe me, if the floors look like that, the rails are rusty too. Look behind the front wheels, back towards the firewall, and under the battery tray under the hood and under the passenger fender. 5 to 1 says there is a big rusty spot there. It's not terrible to fix, but it will cost you some money.

Replacing those floors is a big job, and will require a welder. Preformed replacement floors are available, and the rails that go under them as well. You'll need both if they look like that. I did mine for about 150$ in materials, plus 16 hours of semi-trained labor to form mine from sheetmetal. (I'm an armorer, make steel body armor, so the forming is not difficult for me. I swing an 8lb hand sledge all weekend long, when i'm not working at my real job.)

The doglegs are about 35-40$ each, plus the labor to weld them in, and to repair the rocker will be more, but since I haven't had to do that, I don't know the price for the replacement panels.

The front lower fenders are not hard to repair, IF the inner support at the back edge of the fender is still solid. More than likely, it's not. Also, the front section of the rocker panel is under that, and not well protected from rust. It will likely be rusted through, and that IS a pain to fix, because the lower edge of the fender bolts on there.

As for the exterior body, that looks pretty straight, except for the rust. being a western kentucky Z owner, I would rather have started with that car, because of the interior, because mine was rusted up similarly to that one. I also had a sunroof, and did a roof skin transplant. Big job, took 6 hours plus the cost of the replacement roof. So far, I've spent 400$ on rust repair, and I'm still not finished. Getting close, though. If you're not a patient metal worker, expect to spend close to 2K if you are doing it yourself, and 5-10K if you are having someone do it for you.

I plan on doing all the work myself, im going to need a clutch, front and rear lower quarters, floor pans, rockers, a clutch, and maybe rails as far as i know at this point. Im going to have a talk with him tomorow and offer him $300 and go from there. Thanks for the info guys.