HybridZ

Mega squirt wish

GOTHALOSISM

I have just finished my install and the car runs great. The only thing I would love to see in the megatune software or some other visual output would be able to see what I'm getting in MPG. Not sure on the programing of the MS but I think it would be benifical to have.

Yeah, if you provide a VSS input then there are already gauges in megatune for mpg. Sometime look through the megatune .ini file and see what all the different gauges are that you can put in megatune. The vacuum/boost gauge is nice.

Not to get off topic, but what is the "vacuum/boost gauge" called ?, I couldn't see it in the list on my 2.88 code

Nigel

12769_thumb.attach

• 1 month later...

I'd also like to see MPG info in Megatune. I noticed that the speedometer gauge tries to guess my speed, but of course it's wrong since I'm not running any speed input to the MS. If Megatune's speedo could somehow be calibrated for the car's highest gear and thus read correctly in cruise, the MPG gauge should also read accurately in cruise. Does anyone know if it's possible to enter a couple of RPM/Speed pairs to calibrate the speedo for one gear?

How do you guys expect fuel efficiency to be calculated? Air/fuel ratio? Injector duty cycle at certain fuel pressure?

As far as I know, the only way to actually calculate the amount of fuel being used is by way of a fuel metering device inline with the pressurized side of things. Even then, there is plenty of fuel rerouted through the fuel return line that would have to be accounted for.

How do factory cars with fuel efficiency computers determine fuel consumption?

The instant mpg gauge I added used rpm, tranny and diff ratio, tire size, inj pulse width and injector size to determine mpg. Like I say, it works pretty good, but you have to make a gauge for each gear you want to see so I only did 4th and 5th.

I agree that can work pretty good, but you really have to know what's going on with everything and constantly update it to account for any changes made in the system (ie the whole car).

Ultimately, as stated already, all this is doing for you really is giving you a delta to show where you're getting the best efficiency. For example, your calculations may show you're getting 28mpg at 5th gear cruising and 12mpg when passing, but you could very easily be getting 22mpg at cruise and 6mpg when passing. So, now you'd know you were getting better mileage at cruise than in passing.

Having knocked the idea, I wouldn't mind doing something similar. However, given that I can check my average mileage upon fueling, I can just look at a wide or narrowband O2 to determine when I'm running leanest and consequently getting the best mileage. Agreed?

I put a 4th and 5th gear instant mpg gauge in megatune using equations I found on ecomodder.com, it works pretty well. The overall mpg number is probably not accurate but it shows you were you need to be driving to get the best mpg.

This is just what I need. I looked up that thread on ecomodder:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-get-instant-fuel-consumption-megasquirt-5474.html

Having knocked the idea, I wouldn't mind doing something similar. However, given that I can check my average mileage upon fueling, I can just look at a wide or narrowband O2 to determine when I'm running leanest and consequently getting the best mileage. Agreed?

I thought at times I would be getting betting mpg by being in 4th gear climbing grades and in reality the gauge shows I get better mpg being in 5th gear unless it is a really steep grade. But I agree that you can watch a vacuum gauge and O2 gauge to know where to drive to get the best mileage.