HybridZ

L28ET Fuel Delivery

jacob80

Ok boys, here it is. Our 240z has the stock hardlines that run down the body and is still equipped with the stock 240z tank. We are installing an L28ET looking for about 300whp. I need your input on what we should do for fuel delivery. First, read this and tell me if it sounds right:

Since you have the donar car, this kind of swap isn't all that bad if you can read a schematic, and have good wiring skills. Youl will need to run a new fuel return line to the tank (5/16" or greater). You willalso need to mount the fuel pump from the 280 back near the tank. The rest of the installation is wiring related. When pulling the engine fromt he 280Z, keep as much of the harness intact as you can. Then it's really a matter of wiring power to the FI system. You will need a relays for the computer and the fuel pump. You should be able to use all of that from the 280Z.

Get yourself a factory 280Z manual, and a book on Bosch L-Injection.

Good luck!

Pete

According to this, if we just run a 5/16 return line and use the stock feed line with a 280z fuel pump, we will be able to supply adequate fuel supply to the engine? If so, how hard are new lines to run down the length of the body? Can this be done without a lift? Thanks guys, and if you could respond quickly, it would be greatly appreciated.

Use the 1/4" emissions vapor line on the left side of the engine bay. It's plenty big enough. I've been running the stock 5/16" feed and the emissions line for a return for years now, mostly with my walbro 255lph pump, and never had any issues. It's been discussed at length in a thread in the L6 forum I believe.

Edit: I just searched and found the thread, you were the one that started that thread.

Use the 1/4" emissions vapor line on the left side of the engine bay. It's plenty big enough. I've been running the stock 5/16" feed and the emissions line for a return for years now, mostly with my walbro 255lph pump, and never had any issues. It's been discussed at length in a thread in the L6 forum I believe.

Edit: I just searched and found the thread, you were the one that started that thread.

With your stock carburator tank?

Wow...that would be ideal. Should I just walk into advance auto and ask for a stock 280zx turbo pump? Or should I get something a little heavier since we're looking for about 300whp? And does it mount in the back of the car right outside the tank? Should the one pump be enough? Thanks again

Wow...that would be ideal. Should I just walk into advance auto and ask for a stock 280zx turbo pump? Or should I get something a little heavier since we're looking for about 300whp? And does it mount in the back of the car right outside the tank? Should the one pump be enough? Thanks again

there should be some good pump info in the archives cuz I know its been discussed a few times, if your shooting for 300hp dont forget to upgrade your injectors too :mrgreen:

Why not put a low pressure pump in the rear to pump gas to a surge tank mounted in the front, then run a high pressure pump from the surge tank to the fuel rail. The return line from the surge tank can the be hooked to the 1/4" emissions vapor line.

Jeffer949 did his this way and you can use a lot less high pressure hose, have a surge tank to avoid fuel starvation and have a lot less work running new fuel line if you ever decide to up the HP rating you are shooting for.

Why not put a low pressure pump in the rear to pump gas to a surge tank mounted in the front, then run a high pressure pump from the surge tank to the fuel rail. The return line from the surge tank can the be hooked to the 1/4" emissions vapor line.

Jeffer949 did his this way and you can use a lot less high pressure hose, have a surge tank to avoid fuel starvation and have a lot less work running new fuel line if you ever decide to up the HP rating you are shooting for.

This is what we were going to do initially, but if we can go without temporarily, this would be fine considering time as a factor. Do you know where we can buy a surge tank preassembled? Our only option right now is finding someone that can do it and ordering parts, which is more time. If we can run the stock hardlines with a HP pump for the time being without starvation problems, that is what we will do. It wouldn't be hard to install a surge tank and do minor rerouting of fuel lines in the engine bay, which is what we would like to do.

Yes. Use one of the vent lines as your return, not the stock return port. The stock feed is fine as far as flow capacity goes.

Considering this, how much of a difference would the bigger vent port on the tank make for the return if the evap line you suggest for the return is still smaller than that vent line? We also have an issue with the fuel tank filling only half way because we have no vent to the filler neck to let air escape, so if we use the vent line at the top of the tank for the return, which inlet on the tank do we use to vent to the filler neck???

PS: I hope this setup will not cause us starvation problems under heavy loads.