HybridZ

stock springs with ? shocks

Hey there Z people! So I first things first ... I'VE SEARCHED. seriously... I've tried searching stock struts, or stock shocks, or stock suspension, and a bunch of other stuff but all that comes up is, "I'm getting rid if my stock suspension..." and a bunch of "stock" and suspension" but nothing about what I'm looking for.

Here is what I'm looking to do. I wanted to replace the struts but leave the springs, (side bar ... I want to keep the stock springs because I don't want to lower my Z) So I was hoping to just replace the shocks and struts and keep my stock springs. I'm not looking to make my Z into a racer... I just want a nice ride that handles a little better than stock. I will also be replacing the ball joints and tie rods at the same time. I've also replaced all the bushings with urathane

What kind of shocks should I get?

If you can't tell, I don't know shizer about suspension ... and I'm ok with that... I just want some basic advice on what to do here.

Thanks in advance!

Matt-

With the stock 14" ZX rims I don't think I would like the look of the z. I didn't think you could still get stock springs... last time I check with motorsport they said that there was only new old stock and those springs would be 30+ years old. All the other springs that they had were 1.5 " lower than stock.

I guess I'm pretty much looking to do Jmotensens "Stage 2" suspension upgrade ... just with out the lowering springs.

Bad idea?

If I go with the stock springs ... how do you tell if they're bad?

Also does anyone have a "stage 2" setup with 1.5 inch lower springs and stock 14" zx rims... if so... got any pictures?

Thanks again.

Matt-

Matt, the problem with using stock springs and modern struts is that the gas charged struts will cause your ride height to increase. Arne and Carl over at Classiczcars.com talk about this a few times when people post about their car looking like a monster truck.

Below are two pictures of the Tokico springs and shocks which lowered the car about an inch:

Car71.JPG

carwesterns.JPG

Gratuitous photo (same springs and shocks)

car14.JPG

Monster truck Z .... OOOOOHHHH NOOOOOOOOO. So the stock springs are to stiff for the performance shocks? Or is it that the shocks are to "strong" for the springs? So what springs have the smallest drop? and what shocks should I put with those springs.

Matt-