HybridZ

Front inner panel repair

Beau M

I don't know what to call this part. I just started working on my car, this is the first cancerous rust I have found besides the lower body work. What is the most effective way to go about fixing this part? The rust stops right at the end of where the headlight panel meets the inner panel. Because the hood hinges mount here, I know it has to be sturdy. Should I try and fab up a new one, or cut a part from a donor car?

Day2006.jpg

Day2012.jpg

Day2015.jpg

Thank you for the post and the pics! The way you did is is much better than the way I ended up fixing it, I will post pics when I am done. Maybe. This is the first panel i have replaced and welded on a car, so both the part and the welds look like poo.

i also did the same exact repair on my car...i found it easier to get a rust free section from a donor car..(just post in the wanted section). Fabricate the flat section and use the curvy section from the donated parts car. Ill post pics or PM you later. This made it so much easier.

Well, here is what I did. I cut out all the rust, then welded a 16 gauge panel on the inside. I then welded a 22 gauge panel to the outside, and fabbed up a frame rail extension. I used seam sealer like it was going out of style. Keep in mind, this is the first time I have ever welded on a car, and like the third time I have welded ever. I can say, it is very sturdy, maybe even more so than the other, non rusted side.

Day3001.jpg

Day3007.jpg

Day3009.jpg

Day3014.jpg

Looks great man!! I wish I knew you needed that piece, I had a good donor section. I just replaced that entire apron piece last weekend on our car. BTW, does anyone have pics or ideas on how to repair the right inner fender battery box or an inner fender?

From the pics it looks like you welded the patch completely and did`nt leave a slight opening in the front of the patch so water can drip out. That section forms rust beacuse the opening get clog up,and the water gets trapped inside. Just my $0.02.

Looks great man!! I wish I knew you needed that piece, I had a good donor section. I just replaced that entire apron piece last weekend on our car. BTW, does anyone have pics or ideas on how to repair the right inner fender battery box or an inner fender?

I finished this repair not long ago. I posted some pics at this posting:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=139659&page=2

This section is not made by anyone. You'll have to either hand form your own or have someone cut out the section you need from a solid donor. This is what I ended up doing sense my hand forming skills were not producing results I was happy with. Let me know if you need the actual battery tray support. I have two. My battery will be relocated to behind the passenger seat.

Thanks for the offer but I just found a near perfect section from the firewall to the shock tower. Currently my battery box section looks like the one in your pictures, can't wait to start installing this new section.

Good luck!!