HybridZ

U joint to CV conversion

Ralphyboy

I've been searching everything I can think of over on and off over the last couple of weeks. I had a drivers side u joint halfshaft go and I can't find a replacement that is easily gotten. That has made me think I should go ahead and convert it to the CV joint halfshafts that are very easily found. I thought that I would be able to find a simple write up on how it's done, that has not happened. I have found several things pointing to a Z31 swap that I would not be against either, but again, no write up to get an idea of what it takes.

I'm more of a follow the instructions guy and I would rather not be scratching my head for 6 months since I'm an idiot of sorts. I really apreciate it if anyone has a link or knows how to do this and can help.

This help. From Rockauto.com. these are for a 80 280zx. They have parts for all z's

1980 NISSAN 280ZX 2.8L 2753cc L6 MFI (H) [L28E] : Drivetrain : Universal JointPriceCoreTotalAdvice.gifPRECISION Part # 393 MoreInfo.gif {U Joint - Premium}

Rear Axle Shaft (Right Inner)

Rear Axle Shaft (Right Outer)

Rear Axle Shaft (Left Outer)

Rear Axle Shaft (Left Inner)HPE_393.jpg

$14.78$0.00$14.78AddToCart.gif

ACDELCO Part # 45U0174 MoreInfo.gif {#89029356}

JOINT,RR WHL DRV SHF OTR UNIVERSAL PREMIUM; R; DIAGRAM I, POSITION 6 - REFERENCED IN PAPER CATALOG

JOINT,RR WHL DRV SHF INR UNIVERSAL PREMIUM; L; DIAGRAM I, POSITION 3 - REFERENCED IN PAPER CATALOG

JOINT,RR WHL DRV SHF OTR UNIVERSAL PREMIUM; L; DIAGRAM I, POSITION 5 - REFERENCED IN PAPER CATALOG

JOINT,RR WHL DRV SHF INR UNIVERSAL PREMIUM; R; DIAGRAM I, POSITION 4 - REFERENCED IN PAPER CATALOG

You just need to replace the companion flanges with the ones from a turbo ZX. Providing that you're already have the R200 rear in the car. If you have the R180 in the car then you have to swap that out too. I don't recall any R180 has CVs axles. I have a set of these companion flanges from a turbo car in my garage. let me know if you want to buy them. The easiest way to do this swap is to buy a parts 280ZXT and swap the whole A-arms and brakes in 1 piece. GL

The 280ZX companion flanges I took out of my car when I was going to Z31 axles had 3 sets of 2 bolts, the Z31 turbo companion flanges had 4 single bolts. I did put in Z31 stub axles as well, but if the splines are the same between the two it should be pretty easy to find something that will work.

Does anybody know if the Z31 comapanion flanges can be interchanged, turbo or non turbo to the 280ZX?? Has anybody done this?? If so Z31 CV's are readily available in junk yards, but the turbo models are the strongest.

find a car in the junkyard that has the cv setup. I believe all the turbos had them and I know that some of the 2+2 also came that way. you need the halfshaft and the companion flanges after that just some wrench work. If you got a r200 or r180 diffy might make a difference not sure but I think half shafts work with either diffy. z31 swap more work and not any better. while you are there might as well grab the axles too in case you ever get a wheel bearing go out as happened to me.