HybridZ

Help!! 1978 280Z barely idles

Hi Guys,

I have a 1978 280Z 2+2 L28 stock with automatic transmission.

I’m back with more problems. On the last episode I had finished replacing my head gasket and after a few issues (rough idle, gray smoke, etc) she started running fine. Now a few days later I’m having issues again, she’s running rough, can’t really idle on her own, gray smoke out of the tail pipe. So far I’ve replaced the wires, plugs, cap and rotor, checket the vacuum lines and the timing. I’ve done a lot of searches and tried what was suggested without luck. I’m not sure what else to do at this point, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Guys,

I checked the throttle valve switch and it looks fine. Since I don't have a volt meter I tested it manually as indicated on the atlanticZ website http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/tps/index.html

Having said that I found something curious, when I start the engine it takes about 15sec before she starts smoking and idleling rough. I took the clamp of the boot between the air flow meter and the throttle body and started the engine, just as it started to run rough I separated the boot from the air flow meter to allow additional air in and the engine smooth out the smoke almost completely disappeared.

I checked the connector and it is fine (not coroded/broken). The air flow meter is new, I just replaced it because the old one would act up once in a while. At this point I've done the same test with the old and new air flow meter with the same results.

So I'm assuming that there's an issue with air flow, but I'm not to sure how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

have you run checks on the Auxiliary Air Regulator? That's a possibility, as well as any other sort of area where you may have a vacuum leak. A couple weeks ago when I ran my z for a while, it was fine on startup but as time progressed and the car warmed up, it started idling really rough, and would completely shut off if I wasn't there to give it a little gas. Turns out it was a vacuum leak at the EGR. I'm not saying its the same for you, but anywhere that its possible for you to have a leak, check it.

Most of your seemingly complex problems will have the stupidest simple solutions. Happens to all of us.

I've gone thru a couple of books but no instructions on how to do this.

EFI Bible, Factory Service Manual (search for xenons30). They both have methods for testing that thing, be it using a multimeter to compressing the tubing to see if the idle changes.

Ok, she's now running fairly well. I found a clog in one of the vacuum connections and I replaced the water tempature sensor. She is still moking, not as much as before never the less still smoking. I've adjusted the timming without much improvement. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

• 3 months later...

Invest in a volt/ohm meter and try this site. I haven't been to the site you mentioned but they sound like they are from the same group. This gives you an EFI manual that will lead you through the tests to rule out problems. Have you checked compression for either bad rings or valve broken?? Good luck. I know it is frustrating. I am still going through it but at least I see the light at the end of the tunnel. And it ain't a train. Just checked the site. $64.48 for a new one at Advanced Auto. Do the test and see if you need one. Dave

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/e...ectionbook.pdf