HybridZ

Still having problems with CV conversion

J Taylor

Turned out, I have 2 long CV's. They did both come out of the same car so I dunno how that happened. I got another pair from a friend. He had a bunch laying around and didn't know which were 280zx and were 300zx. I got a pair....one of them was quite a bit longer than mine but one was about a half inch or so shorter so I assume this is the right one. It still will not go all the way in. The pass side goes in just fine....drivers side I get into the diff but the other end is still is too long by about an inch to get into the adapter. ANyone else ran into this problem?

JT

Originally posted by J Taylor:

Turned out, I have 2 long CV's. They did both come out of the same car so I dunno how that happened.

That might explain how I now have 3 or 4 long ones with no shorts to pair up with! Your longer one I'm curious on as the 300ZX CV units I've seen have a larger 4 bolt pattern on the outboard flange instead of the 6 bolt (3 pairs) bolt pattern on a smaller bolt circle that the 280ZXT CV's have. Your passenger side that's already in 'fine', are your sure it's fully seated into the diff? AIR (their's been 2 or 3 threads on this in recent weeks) the long shaft (and the stub insert portion is longer as well, not just external shaft portion) goes on passenger side with shorter unit on drivers side. Some have tried to reverse this as the short one fits easily on passenger side (as Terry's suggested you may have done) but no way will the long one fit on the drivers side........even when done correctly it is a snug fit so don't be surprised when it takes some patience and maneuvering to get the drivers side (shorter unit) in their.

I'm not sure if I've yet seen OEM 280ZXT shaft measurements posted on this site for reference for users? I should see if I can dig those out of my paper tunnel if not.

quoting the other thread for reference:

start of JT's CV q's

"Or you've got the left axle in the right side. There is just enough "float" on these axles to allow the short axle to fit into the long side, but not the other way."

"There is a difference on my shafts in two places between the left and right halfshafts on the CV jointed ZX shafts. The axle itself is 1/2" longer (boot to boot measurement on mine for example) and 5/16" longer on the stub that inserts into the differential. Here is another posting of the photo of both sides. The drivers side is on top (short one). I noticed on mine the boots are different between the two on one side. This may or may not account for the axle length difference"