HybridZ

Installing LT1 in a 77...anyone know how I can keep the a/c?

I am starting to install a 96 LT1 into my 77 280. I would like to try and get the a/c working. Is there a way to integrate the new a/c compressor of the lt1 with the old z's a/c system? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to get a/c working?

thanks...

I made a template out of cardboard to relocate the AC Compressor to the driver side up high. Then I cut out a piece of aluminum, tapped the holes and mounted the plate. It also required a pulley mounted on the aluminum plate. Works great. It can be seen in this video

Where in Maryland are you?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/LT1-280Z-new-headcam-swap_105695.htm

Jody

Or if you don't want to fabricate one you can get the one Bartman and I used. http://www.bowersrodshop.com/info_pulley.htm Its not cheap and you will have to adjust the shock tower a little. But it does come with a AC delete pulley and a belt.

If you want to fabricate one you'll still need a AC delete pulley, I just happen to have an extra one I will sell cheap.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I hope to get the engine in place in the next week or so and then I will start this part of the project. I like the idea of just getting custom hoses made, but was he still able to keep the ac in its stock location, or did it still have to be moved?

You can't leave the compressor in the stock location, the new engine mount will be there. The stock AC system inside my car is stock, but I just have a switch that engages my compressor to turn it on and off.

I used an online supplier for the AC lines and had them sent non crimped. You need to lay the lines out and make sure the angled fittings are clocked correctly on the hoses, mark them and have someone carefully crimp them. My local auto parts shop has a crimper for the AC lines.

Aberdeen is about 1.5 hrs away. I'm in Damascus.

Jody