HybridZ

WTB: <72' steering shaft

g00kb0i

I have one from a 78 280Z available. It looks the same as that one. Can anyone verify that they are the same? I'm located in Whittier, CA. Not too far away from you. Let me know if you are interested.

I've compared my '70 with a '71 and a 280Z shaft. There are some differences, but they are the same length and same spline count. The complete 280Z should replace the 240Z shaft. The differences are interesting. Although the 280Z shaft is of heavier material; the splines are the same. The entire steering shaft consists of two parts: the long rod half that contains the ujoint to connect with the Rack; the other is a "T" shaped piece that connects to the Fabric/rubber ujoint at the end of the steering column. This "T" shaped piece and the Rack end rod are of different lengths between the 240 and 280s. If you use the short "T" with the short rod, you have a steering shaft about .5 inches shorter than stock. If you stack the long "T" with the long rod you will have a steering shaft about .5 inches longer than stock.

Based upon my machinist's opinion, you can press out the Datsun ujoint and then mate it with the Subaru cross joint. I've not done it, but I did measure the two and asked my machinist if would fit. He thinks it would.

If this is so, all those loose early steering shaft ujoints could be repaired by pressing out the cross-element out of the Subaru universal joint yokes and pressing them into the Datsun yokes.

Maybe someone out there will try this.

I think I have photos up on my site in "Albums" here on Hybridz.org

g

I've compared my '70 with a '71 and a 280Z shaft. There are some differences, but they are the same length and same spline count. The complete 280Z should replace the 240Z shaft. The differences are interesting. Although the 280Z shaft is of heavier material; the splines are the same. The entire steering shaft consists of two parts: the long rod half that contains the ujoint to connect with the Rack; the other is a "T" shaped piece that connects to the Fabric/rubber ujoint at the end of the steering column. This "T" shaped piece and the Rack end rod are of different lengths between the 240 and 280s. If you use the short "T" with the short rod, you have a steering shaft about .5 inches shorter than stock. If you stack the long "T" with the long rod you will have a steering shaft about .5 inches longer than stock.

Based upon my machinist's opinion, you can press out the Datsun ujoint and then mate it with the Subaru cross joint. I've not done it, but I did measure the two and asked my machinist if would fit. He thinks it would.

If this is so, all those loose early steering shaft ujoints could be repaired by pressing out the cross-element out of the Subaru universal joint yokes and pressing them into the Datsun yokes.

Maybe someone out there will try this.

I think I have photos up on my site in "Albums" here on Hybridz.org

g

One photo being worth a thousand words. Silver is a Series 1 240Z; black is a 280Z. Overall length is the same for both shafts.

240z_steering_rod_spline.jpg

g

Thanks so much for your efforts greatly appreciated!!

As for the people still tryinng to sell one, I still need one guys. thanks.

One photo being worth a thousand words. Silver is a Series 1 240Z; black is a 280Z. Overall length is the same for both shafts.

240z_steering_rod_spline.jpg

g