HybridZ

WHOO! She runs!

m4xwellmurd3r

I got my 78 280z running a bit better, AND got a 30 day temp tag on it (again)

the popping it was doing due to the crushed exhaust is GONE, but it's having trouble going past 5500rpm (I'll be due to corrosion)

oh, and the starter relay is shot, so I kind of cheat. I turn the key to start, and let the pump build up pressure, then pull out a screwdriver and jump the solenoid on the starter. fires right up.

I also found out ALL my lights work perfect (hazard lights, hi/low, everything else) except I guess I need a new light bulb for the passenger front side marker light thing.

and for the first time I noticed all the plastic for the tail lights and crap are well...perfect.

and the panel gap is pretty damn close to perfect.

Now it's time to clean ♥♥♥♥, tune it, and get it running better.

I think the transmission needs new oil in it though. it's a bit noisy.

OH, and the clutch needs to be adjusted a bit. I have to have it on the floor to fully disengage, and if I rev it to 5k in 1st, I get a bit of chatter and the car moves >_>

I'll have a video of how it sounds with the new pipes in a few days though.

Driving her today felt GREAT. I haven't been able to hardly even START the car much in a YEAR. let alone drive it all night without worrying about stuff going wrong.

oh, gotta check the brake pads. they WORK fine, but the fronts are kind of...squealy. especially the passenger front.

talking about at a standstill.

BUT that's ok because I know it's the AFM and connectors being out of adjustment and corrosion on plugs. because it's the same issue it had when I first got the car (and cleaning the connectors and calibrating the AFM fixed it)

I know a while back, this car was able to pull pretty strong all the way up to 6k so I just have to get everything dialed back in after sitting for so long.

A great feeling, Just drove the 260z with it's new exhaust and wow man does it feel good to have a turbo car. The turbosmart megasonic is so loud. I dont have to get into it to much for it to go off. The Apexi N1 is a really good muffler for those of you looking(I ended up going with this muffler). Its a straight through design, despite being a "tuner" muffler it has a very deep sound..

nice haha. I'm still tweaking mine trying to figure out why it seems so down on power compared to before. I did find that my water temp sensor has corrosion, so gotta clean that, and I'm not sure where exactly my stock setting mark went on my AFM, so I'll just play with it and figure out what works best. though, it COULD be getting fuel starved. on the old injectors and regulator, it was pushing 100PSI so it wasn't starving at all (it was seized, and I almost broke the AFM adjusting it to run right). and right now I can hear the fuel pump dropping rpm when there's any real load on the car (like the blinkers). maybe I should get a pressure guage and see if i'm losing pressure at higher RPM

Well, I discovered a few things I had mis-adjusted on my car. I had to tighten the AFM more (I noticed a glob of glue that lines up with the cog wheel) and I didn't have my timing advanced to where I had marked it. I basically put a black dot to where the timing matches almost perfectly, and totally forgot about it, checked it, and it was off. I fired it up, and even though it was still cold (and would smoke a bit due to that) it revved MUCH more freely than it did yesterday. I didn't rev it very high, and my tach is a bit sticky, but I gave it a good blip up to about 3500-4k, then let it idle. the idle sounds smoother, and the throttle respones is much nicer. HURRAY, my Z is happier.