HybridZ

Tranny Tunnel Mount Questions

I purchased a 71 240z and I am nearing completion of my L28ET swap w/ T5 Trans. The previous owner had cut out the original tranny mounts (w/ vertical style bolts) in the trans tunnel to fit a different tranny behind an LT1. Anyway, I just picked up some 280z tranny mounts with the horizontal bolts and I have a couple questions about how to weld them in to place.

My thoughts were to drill out the spot welds and use those to weld the mounts to the inner tunnel wall. I think they are called plug welds... Does this sound like a good/safe way to install them?

Also, I need to know the distance from the top of the trans tunnel to the center of the bolt hole so I know how far up the tunnel to install them.

Thanks!

I would stitch weld in addition to th eplug or rosette welds, also the early chassis had the trans moutnt oo far forward, so you'll want to place ti car enough back to line up wiht the mount on the T5 so you won't have to modify the crossmember as well