Which engine would you choose?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which engine would you choose?

• L28
    • SR20
    • VH45
    • VQ35
    • RB25

I'm having a difficult time deciding which engine to replace my L28 with. I know this discussion has been had before but I want to quantify the various opinions on various engine platforms.

L28:

Pros-Original and accessible.

Cons- Trying to coax 300+hp with pump gas becomes $$$, Weight, Aftermarket support is limited. Non-crossflow design raises intake temps ect. ect.

SR20det:

Pros-Weight, Weight distribution, Aftermarket support

Cons-again a lack of power unless you throw a MONSTER turbo on.

Vh45de:

Pros-Displacement, slightly better than either of the I6's but not as good as the V6 or Sr20, bulletproof 6 bolt main bottom end known to handle high boost. Cost

Cons-Width, Second highest weight next to the RB motors, Transmission adaptation, Huge lack of any aftermarket support. and last but not least the difficulty of installation.

Vq35de:

Pros-Weight, Distribution, Power, Aftermarket support, 6spd trans, parts availability.

Cons- NATS(easy to overcome but contributes to >), Cost

Rb25det:

Pros-Power, I6 Heritage, good trans, did I mention Power

Cons-As mentioned above its the heaviest out of all the options weighing in at over 700lbs:shock:. Also I'm not looking forward to the confused looks I get at checkers when I ask them to cross reference spark plug thread pitches so I can try and find something that works with an engine not distributed in the US. Cost is probably similar to the VQ swap

How much power do you want?

How fast do you want to go?

What is your access to each of these engines?

How much money do you have?

What kind of automotive experience do you have?

What is your time frame?

What will the car be used for?

What is the current setup suspension/brake wise?

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Again, need a little more information to help you with making a decision.

As far as my project goes I'm still learning alot, I've done a good deal of wrenching and wiring, my most limiting ability will be my welding but I'm practicing my mig and am soon to start with tig. The car is going to be a GTR inspired daily driver, meaning I will probably keep the ammenities, and still be keeping an eye on mpg. I've got access to a machine shop as well as a junkyard so the suspension and brakes will be taken from various platforms and adapted. As far as power I'm thinking 300hp and then turbocharging down the road. Because of all these reasons I'm heavily leaning towards a Vq swap. The only thing holding me back is I have a VH45 pulled along with ecu harness diff half shafts ect. I am debating heavily between those 2. I understand the potential of the l28 but a stroked triple weber high compression motor on race gas will give me the power of a stock VQ, even with boost its not a fair match.

Yes indeed that is what I'm saying. I posted this as a question of what is the general opinion of the best motor for the Z platform, not to entirely focus on my build but get an idea from those who have swapped and driven different combinations which they prefer. I think both the N/A VQ and VH would serve the purpose, but the RB is also viable in that with slight modifications to the turbo system the power gains are comparable to turbocharging either of the previous mentioned engines. From my personal opinion I see building a VH or VQ to 350-400 reliable streetable horsepower as being cheaper than building a full race l28. With that said though I most likely will turbo my L28 while I do the much needed brake, safety, suspension, and eletrical upgrades that the car needs for that power. But the 6sp... :burnout:

I see that you are sticking with Nissan engines but if you want an updated I6 (IMHO) but don't want to shell out for the RB try a 1JZ or 2JZ. At more than half the price of the RB and just as able to make power.

just my .02...... but stick with a L28ET for now