HybridZ

MSIIv3/EDIS6/Turbo (Basic Maps Anywhere)?

Guest Rolling Parts

Guest Rolling Parts

I must be blind. I'm about to light up a vanilla L28ET with:

STOCK 275cc injectors

STOCK T3 turbo

STOCK fuel pressure

STOCK 7psi boost

STOCK L28ET pistons/P90

STOCK compression

STOCK no inter-cooler

STOCK narrow band O2 sensor

ECU:

MegasqirtII V3.57 with EDIS-6

For the life of me I can't find a base fuel and spark advance .msq map for the Megasquirt II V3.57 for an 280ZXT in any of the shared code areas. Everyone tells me "just get the base map" but it seems that everyone that posted has a variation (larger injectors or 14psi boost or high compression or locked dizzy). I'm just needing to get this basic turbo swap up and running.

Anyone have a truely vanilla L28ET MSII map file for the stock fuel delivery and stock ignition curves?

Thanks!!!!

You know what your right there is no maps exactly that setup but there are many guys on edis and many on different sensors and what not. What you need to do is make your own msq easily or take someones exact setup i found 2 or 3 like yours and change slight values. ie ignition change to edis and put trigger angle 0 thats all! or from wideband to selecting narrow band save as and your good to go, recalculate your fuel in the req fuel part of megatune, set your timing and your gonna have the same ignition map weather its edis or dizzy. the only values that differ is trigger angle and offset but you wont get into that with edis. Is your setup all wired and good to go? I actually have your same exact setup its not running Im just wiring in the coil pack and vr soon.

Guest Rolling Parts

"You know what your right there is no maps exactly that setup"

That's the thing, IT'S NOT MY SETUP, it's Nissan's (pure stock hardware).

There were thousands of 280ZXT's engines all built like this. They all had the same block, head, compression, fuel pressure, injectors, exhaust, turbo, O2 sensor, ignition advance curves, and boost levels as I (and thousands of others) have. SURELY someone has simply spliced in a MS into a STOCK 280ZX TURBO and matched the physics of the baseline engine???? Why are you saying that my "setup" is unique when it's the baseline factory engine????

This seems to be the main problem with MS. Everyone says "just grab a base map and modify it". It's almost like it's some kind of inside joke among MS pros (Moby, TonyD, Matt Cramer, etc) to tease about these non-existent baseline maps for the Nissan L28ET.

I'm really and truely sorry for this rant, but BeJeeezus I'm just amazed that the end of a steep learning curve is still met with even more inside jokes like "well your engine is unique". Give me a freekin' break. I guess I made it this far by myself and I got the car running last night with "best guess" settings (a composit of weeks of looking at other maps from 5 other sites). I'll get a WB02 and EGT now to see if I actually came close to controlling this factory engine to industry accepted values.

Guest Rolling Parts

SoftopZ,

If you're just now wiring up the VR, you might have the same problems I did. You can check which wire is + and which is - from the sensor by connecting the sensor wires to a volt meter on lowest DC setting. If you move the sensor quickly away from metal and you see a NEGATIVE voltage spike, then that means the + wire is in the + terminal of the the volt meter and the - is in the - connector on the volt meter.

Here is a guy on MSEFI.com that had the same problem I had(it can be a major frustration):

"As I have said time and again, check your wiring at your VR sensor, I have an edis 4 and the rpm didn't register when I wired the blue to blue and grey to grey. You may want to wire Blue to grey and grey to blue. The module and connectors were out of the same car. I know it doesn't make sense, but there are a lot of people with the same problem. icon_redface.gif "

A nifty way to CHECK that that old used EDIS parts are working BEFORE installing it (to avoid yet another aggravation of a dead module or coil pack) is listed below. You can connect it all up on a garage bench and send it a "VR test signal". Here is link where all you do is "play" the music file through a stereo jack into the ignition module as a test:

http://www.heggs.co.uk/vrssim/wav/index.htm

Edited by Rolling Parts
More info on EDIS bits

This seems to be the main problem with MS. Everyone says "just grab a base map and modify it". It's almost like it's some kind of inside joke among MS pros (Moby, TonyD, Matt Cramer, etc) to tease about these non-existent baseline maps for the Nissan L28ET.

I'm really and truely sorry for this rant, but BeJeeezus I'm just amazed that the end of a steep learning curve is still met with even more inside jokes like "well your engine is unique". Give me a freekin' break. I guess I made it this far by myself and I got the car running last night with "best guess" settings (a composit of weeks of looking at other maps from 5 other sites). I'll get a WB02 and EGT now to see if I actually came close to controlling this factory engine to industry accepted values.

Once you get your base setup tuned to industry accepted values please post the settings so this won't be an issue for the next guy with a stock L28ET engine. Unfortunately my cars have only been tuned as good as I could do myself with a wideband and no EGT or knock sensor. I do not feel comfortable telling everyone to use them and claiming they are as good or safe as a factory tune. That is why you have been told to only use the settings on the internet as a starting point and tune from there.

Guest Rolling Parts

"That is why you have been told to only use the settings on the internet as a starting point and tune from there"

Well, if I could find ONE on the internet for a stock L28ET I'd agree with ya! Trouble is, that "starting point" for the base engine does not exists on the internet. That's fine, I just wish folks would stop referring to "get a basic and then tune" when it really is "grab the least odd-ball map you can find and get ready to tune it immediately".

I got the engine started this week by using inference and best guess but starting it up in a garage is (in reality) little more than a moral booster (though a needed one).

You betcha I'll put it in the shared code area after I tune it in with a WB02 and EGT. That will at least be an honest "starting point" for an L28ET engine. Kinda odd that NO ONE has a MS configured to what Nissan did so very well almost 30 years ago with so much less.

Thanks!

The installation sticky contains the settings for a stock L28et engine. Since you are going to poke the bear and have spent so much time researching then how did you miss this part of the sticky that is in bold(dwell on the last sentence in paticular then go back and read the sticky again, I'm not usually the person to cry out search but jeez):

Here are the settings I have in for the fuel portion of megasquirt, these are before tuning so only use to fire up your engine, then do your own tuning or risk pre-detonation and disaster. My ignition table is just a simple one based on some that James put up in the forum. Notice it just does a simple 1 degree retard as the boost climbs(should have been around 1degree per 1psi). The contstants are based on stock injectors and stock 2.8l engine size. The volumetric efficiency table is based on other peoples dynos of the stock engine at 10psi boost. I am currently running 10psi boost and stock injectors, haven't got the 450cc injectors on yet. My accel and decel enrichments are not quite right. But this should give a good starting point if you are around 10psi boost and stock setup otherwise.

Thread Locked