HybridZ

Olds 350 Musings

attworth

I found a killer deal on a Old's 350 Rocket. Think I'm gonna snag it. From everything I've read, the rocket is a pretty good motor. The heads installed on it are supposedly no good. Hopefully I can take them to a local shop and have them check them out. The owner of the motor says he knows of a place with replacement rebuilt heads for 99$ each. Not too bad, if there's any truth to it. Edelbrock has some nice pieces for about 850$ each. Not too bad either if it comes down to it.

Supposedly the bottom end is good, but rebuild parts are pretty cheap if not. The hardest part is going to be fab'ing some mounts for the motor and trans. I'm also a bit concerned with headers. I can't find any "block huggers," so I think I'll need to go with shorties - no biggie. I've found a bell-housing that'll adapt a TKO, Muncie, T-10, and a few others. It's a bit steep at 474$, but I'll worry about that later. I've read there's a bell-housing that'll allow the use of a T-5, so we'll see about that after I do some more research.

Anyway, any input or encouragement would be great. When I told my wife about the 850$ heads, she just shook her head. :shock:

I found these too. Pretty neat, and would definitely be "different."

nal-22525295_w.jpg