HybridZ

L28/T5 convert to Turbo using L28ET head?

adamhoud

I have seen where some suggestions have been made to convert an existing l28 transplant to turbo instead of swapping the whole motor......if I already had an 83zxt and 73z with l28/t5 could I technically just swap the top end/turbo/EFI/harness to the 73?

Do other fixes have to be made for it to work...oil lines etc?

Thanks in advance...yes I searched

No, the fact that it's a '73 would determine that he has flat top pistons...heeeheeehee....Well, Most '73s. I've heard rumors that the '73 240Z's could have dished pistons as well, but I don't know.

EDIT: i just re-read his post, and it seems he's already got an L28 installed...my bad...

No, I need to know what head is on the 73's L28, your using it's bottom end and the 83's top end.

I really dont see why you would not just swap the entire engine. The amount of work that youd put in to modifying the stock block and NA system for the turbo could easily been spent on just switching out the entire engine with less hassles.

Keep doing your research. It took me about 10 months of reading before I was completely ready for a turbo swap. If you said you searched and found nothing on this, then you didn't look hard enough. There is a lot more to it than what you are thinking. Trust me, I tried the NA block turbo transplant, and it is cheaper and more reliable to just pick up a turbo motor. If you do it right now, you won't have to do it right after you have done it wrong(That sounded a bit weird to me... oh well).

• 2 weeks later...

im interested in this aswell. i plan on building a turbo ls3 next summer but i just bought a 73 240 with a l28 that was built by john williams in atlanda georgia just a few years ago. i would like to convert it to an l28et to get me by until then but since i have a fresh bottom end i dont want to waste it.