HybridZ

CV Swap started but I have some questions!

80LS1T

Ok I am swaping in CV's and an R200 from and 82 ZXT into my 1980 ZX. I tried to take the stub axles out tonight but I can't get that nut to come off! I have an impact but it is only rated to 250 ft lbs. Do I need something stronger?

Also before I put everything in should I grease up the bearings or do anything else?

I don't know much about CV's so any advise would be helpful!

Thanks,

Guy

Guest Anonymous

Since the nut is "staked" Carefully file or grind at the base of the notch. Basically , you have to weaken and remove the "notch" that locks the nut to the threads, If you have the whole system out, I would work in the notch with a little drill bit therapy.

Ok I've got the notch out but it still wont come off. It hasn't even budged! What should I do next? I dont have a torch to heat it up. Maybe I will take it to school tommorow to heat it up! If you guys don't have any other ideas. It's not a left hand thread is it? :mad:

Guy

I used a die grinder to carefully grind off the staked part of the nut. You should use new nuts when reinstalling the stub shafts, and grease the bearings while you're in there. Probably a good time to replace those 20-year old 200k-mile bearings IMO.

Ross Corrigan of Modern Motorsports has stubshaft nuts that self lock without staking, and also the correct new bolts for the CV-to-stubshaft connection. Modern Motorsports

Guest Anonymous

Work on that nut a little more and work it both directions to free it up. Are you using the impact wrench? I use a 3/4 inch drive ratchet to break it free.There was a recent thread on this removal but I cannot find it.. Maybe Ross C was giving the removal directions

Oh I got it out but it wasn't pretty! I finally got so mad redface.gif that I got out my 5" hand gridnder and went to town on that nut! That wasn't working like I planned so I took off the lower control arm and then went at it with the grinder again and then it popped off! :D I would not recommend doing it this way! Very frusterating thats for sure. I will try to be a little more carful on the other side when I remove that notch. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advise though!

Guy

Yeah I went through the same thing when I upgraded my suspension this summer. I could not get the old bushings(metal part) out of the lower control arms so I used griders, hack saw, torch, hammer punches, and a press! I will do whatever it takes to get the job done!!! cheers.gif:D

What can I say, I don't like to screw around! :D

Guy

Guy,

Those stub axle nuts and the rear lower control arm nuts have got to be the hardest ones to remove on the Z car. On mine, I invited a buddy over to the house who use to work for the railroad (maintenance department) and showed him the nuts I wanted removed and he just smile and said piece-of-cake. The next day he brought over this wrench that was 48" inches long and socket set that was huge. I could barely lift the damn thing. Anyway, with a good tug and a screech from the nut it came right off. tongue.gif

Danno74Z

Guest Anonymous

Danno..post some pictures of your outstaanding suspension pieces... besides the stub axles nuts the rear control arm strut spindle pin is another night mare seems a member by the name of Dan Betha makes a tool to remove the pin.

Guest Anonymous

Ric B I used the strut pin removal tool and believe without it one pin would have never came loose. I had to replace the tool's nut combination with a OEM Datsun high grade strut pin nut welded to a larger based turn nut. and worked that pin in both directions with lube and wd 40 spray. The pin had microscopic rust in a few places that caused the problem. I buffed the problem pin on a buffing wheel and it was still needed persuasion to re-install.

Guest Anonymous

Guy. the real long 10 inch hidden spindle bolt that holds the spindle/stub axle housing to the suspension A arm that is formly known as the transverse link in repair literture (fix it manuals) and sometimes it come out easy