HybridZ

Running a 1982 280zxt L6 on 5 Cylinders, Number 3 is Dead

JSM

I picked up this 82 ZXT, well it is a true turbo car, however, the block and head are not a ZXT motor. P79 head and not sure of the block.

Anyway, it runs pretty decent but not great. So for kicks today, because I just picked the car up this past Wednesday, I decided to check the plugs and do a compression test. All were fine except #3. The gauge didn't budge!

I took the gauge off and put my finger over the hole and I could barely feel a thing. I pulled the plug wire completely off the car and unplugged the injector. It runs EXACTLY the same as before, maybe a little better.

Because the motor is not a true ZXT I don't care about it. If it goes, it goes. Anything wrong w/ this? Any additional harm that can be caused?

I do get some knock once on full boost but otherwise okay.

I am enjoying the crap out of driving the automatic. T-Tops are the bomb too. My wife even enjoyed going for a ride in it. She calls it my Roach car!

You should disconnect the fuel injector for that cylinder for any and all driving/testing, engine running or you are wasting gas and possibly diluting your oil.

Next, check the compression after putting in a couple teaspoons of engine oil in the spark plug hole.

If compresision goes up, then your rings are shot in that cylinder. Normally the other cylinders would be close.

You have not posted readings for all cyloinders, which you should do, both before and after with the oil treatment in the spark plug hole.

If the compression does NOT go up, then you have valve problems - considerably cheaper to resolve.

Well jeff. Ive been running mine that way for 3000+ miles lol. I did disconnect the fuel injector on mine. And it will run ok and cruise at 80 all day long but it has NO torque whatsoever and hills arent my friends and i have to shift alot but it does get around. Oh ya mine uses TONS of oil also. lol

Well jeff. Ive been running mine that way for 3000+ miles lol. I did disconnect the fuel injector on mine. And it will run ok and cruise at 80 all day long but it has NO torque whatsoever and hills arent my friends and i have to shift alot but it does get around. Oh ya mine uses TONS of oil also. lol

LOL, this one uses tons of oil also. I just cant figure out where it is going. Little to no smoke and on a few drops on the ground here and there.