HybridZ

ZX Turbo Drift Shaft Difference

zmike

Can anybody help me determine if the ZX drive shaft is the same for the auto as for the T-5? I am sure there is probably a lenth difference..? But what about the trans input shaft difference?? And what about the third member yoke connection????? I have been told that the T-5 ZX shaft uses a different yoke (pinion shaft) connection that is VERY slightly off square with the 4 bolt holes, so a normal yoke (pinion shaft) connected third memeber won't work..????

Any help would be appreciated.

zmike in the Ozarks

Uh I can look tongiht lol, since I'm doing the 5speed swap over the next couple days. I got my 280zx 5 speed that im removing parts from for the Automatic 280zxt. so I'll look and post it for ya but I think I read somewhere its different length for sure.

Don't know about the t5 but the auto driveshaft will not work with a standard 5 speed. the output spline of the tranny is smaller than the input of the auto shaft. there are two types of flanges to make up to the input of the diffy. one is a round one that i believe is the standard tranny/diffy link. the other is a rectangular looking one. don't loose the bolts they are like a halfmoon and about hte only thing that will work. supposedly you can find either the round one or the rectangular one to fit the r200. If you can't find the right stuff you may have to take both shafts to a drive shaft place and have them mate the proper ends.

Great info. thanks to all for the time. So what I am piecing together is that the turbo T5 and Auto tranny drive shaft input are different; the lengths are different; and that the R200 diff came with at least two different pinion yokes. One for the regular Z's and a different one for the T5 turbo.

Maybe I missed it, but does anybody know if the diff yokes are the same for the turbo T5 and Auto? There seem to be plenty of rotting turbo Auto shafts and diffs, so if ANY of the parts will fit the T5 operation, I need to know, I have a parts guy who is willing to pull the diff yoke out of a turbo auto so I can use it for my T5 shaft, but I don't know if they mate up.,,??

zmike

ask him if it is rectangular or round. then look at the end of the drive shaft you want to use. Still doesn't answer the question of the spline diameters however. Not sure about the length of the T5 but I put a nissan 5spd in a turbo car with auto and drive shaft length was okay.