HybridZ

speedometer cable O-rings

darom

I can't for the life of me find any info on the O-rings inside the speedometer cable at the tranny cog. I searched in vain here and in my pdf service manual files.

I swapped my 4-speed with a 5-speed and fished out 2 chewed up o-rings. There was always a tranny fluid leak.

How many o-rings do I need there? What size?

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Den

'76 280z

There is an o-ring on the outside of the tranny cog and an oil seal inside the pinion body. You can get both of them through Nissan or MSA. I use a drill bit to get the old seal out of the pinion body. Turn a sharp bit, by hand, into the seal and yank it out. Use a bit that is a bit smaller than the ID of the pinion body.

cygnusx1, thanks for the response. It seems the leak is from within the speedometer cable itself, not the outside of the cog.

Is there an o-ring on the speedo gear shaft? Here is the picture - where the arrow is pointed I had two stacked chewed up o-rings. Do I need anything there? It doesn't seem logical since the speedo cable moves inside. I might be wrong.

Thanks,

Den

cog_thumb.jpg

Inside the lower end of your pinion housing, there should be an oil seal about 1/2" inside.. That will keep the oil from wicking into the speedo cable. One o-ring and one oil seal is all there should be in the whole assembly.

One of these

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SDC02E/20-1552

and one of these

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SDC02E/20-1550