HybridZ

T5 rebuild - scary?

strotter

I've got a WC T5 behind a 327 in my '72. Turns out it won't downshift into 3rd. And that's my favorite downshift! The shop manual sez:

1. Damaged or worn synchronizer sleeves or hubs ("Remove, disassemble, and inspect transmission. Replace worn or damaged components"), or

2. Worn, damaged, or incorrectly assembled gearshift selector plates, interlock plate, or selector arm ("Remove, disassemble, and inspect transmission cover assembly. Repair or replace components as necessary").

Both of these things fill me with fear. Though I have gotten elbow-deep in motors and rear-ends and suspensions and body-work, I have never in my life touched a manual tranny (except in motorcycles). I have no special tools, and no special skills.

So here's my question: is it doable for a beginner to expect a repair/rebuild of this kind to work first time? How "critical" is it?

Thurem has you headed in the right direction. They even sell a video showing how to do it. I have not rebuilt a T5, but because of the caged and tapered bearings on the WC, it is much easier than the loose bearings found on the cluster in a Muncie and T10 which I have done.

• 4 weeks later...