HybridZ

need help with my 1982 280zx

Guest Moop90

Guest Moop90

Hi, I recently bought a 1982 280zx turbo with an automatic transmission and 240k miles. I need help trying to figure out what the source of this problem is:

My car is pissing oil somewhere, i can smell it in the exhaust and the oil pressure keeps on reaching 0 after a day of driving (i just add more motor oil and the pressure bounces back up).

Another problem with this car is that whenever i stop, instead of having the revs stay at 1000, they drop below it and if i don't keep my foot on the gas while I'm stopped, my car dies.

Could it be that the oil seals are dying? Would the fact that I'm losing oil pressure be the reason that my engine loses power when I'm stopped or is that a common issue with the old stock transmission?

I'm hoping that these are common issues and easily fixable.

Thank you.

Are you just adding oil because of the Pressure guage? Or are you checking thr Dip stick to make sure its not just a "Wiggy" oil pressure Sensor. Dont over fill!!! lol... Clarify and respond. Also check underneith see if the car has oil under engine, maybe the oil pan bolt is loose, maybe an oil line to turbo has come loose, ect ect ect. Rear main seal is a easy one to spot, would be right between back of engine and tranny on bottom the small crack. but yeah if all else fails. Shampoo outside of engine so its clean enough to tell where its coming from. if your blowing smoke out tailpipe then it Piston rings or piston itself. Check all that first. and Do a Compression Test. Testers are liek $45

probbly burning it up due to bad valve seals. most common cause. car should idle around 700. check for vacuum leaks. pull the oil filler cap the car should run poorly if nothing changes you got a vacuum leak. put a piece of cardboard under the engine after running and see if you got oil drips when you pull it back out.

Your turbo drain is probably clogged causing the oil to seek exit through the extremely hot exhaust housing.

Sometimes you would be amazed at how little smoking you get when oil passes this way.

Also.........these cars are notorious for gumming up the throttle body which means the clearance between the throttle plate and the throttle body bore has been filled with gunk.

This usually requires throttle body cleaning but I got away pulling a hose off of the side of the black tube that goes to the throttle body and sprayed a good blast (without wand attached) into the tube while keeping the engine running and had someone turn off the key just as I sprayed it.

I then worked the throttle plate a few times and restarted the car.

You don't want that stuff acting on rubber for any length of time so a restart is important almost right away.

It might work but I recommend pulling that tube and cleaning it proper but I would make sure you have a replacement for any hose you have to remove close by since that is highly likely that a hose will crack.

yep do all of the above.. hehe.. cleaning for sure. and of course verify like we all said thats its not just from the seals or pan seals ect ect. Cause even though you smeel it on exhaust if you dont see it from exhaust the wind under car could be whipping droplets onto the exhaust..

For the idle, the turbo car is famous for this problem when the vacuum modulator or the vacuum pump is not working properly. The vacuum modulator is what controls the idle along with your cold idle. Check to see your vacuum pump is working then open up the vacuum modulator to check for the rubber check valves inside. For the oil leak check for some easy stuff first. Check to make sure you have a good valve cover gasket and the valve cover bolts are tight. GL