HybridZ

Wiring help

Owen

This is not V8 related, but I am confused

as hell with what my manuals say vs what

the prev. owner did to the wiring.

I am almost done installing an 18 circuit

Painless Wiring harness. My problem is in the

combo switch area. How can I make this easy to understand...

For the headlites, there is a 3wire connector, with RED/BLK, RED/WHT and BLK

for hi beam, low beam, and horn, respectively. These are connected to the proper headlite wires up front.

The lites turn on when a hot

wire is touched to directly to the headlite

wire, but don't turn on when I try to use

the actual headlite switch. Somewhere, between this switch and the headlite wires,

there should be a "feed" for power for the lites. But I can't find it. Same for the park

lites.

I guess what I should'te asked in the first

place is, which wire is the positive wire

for the headlite switch?

Anyone who can help with my 73Z, thanks a lot

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Owen,

I am currently psyching out the entire wiring harnesses and circuits of my 73Z. Man, it is weird. This is how the 73 circuit is. The other 240z's are probably similar:

+B on Alternator to AMP meter

AMP Meter to Headlight on/off switch

Headlight on/off switch to 2 headlight fuses

Each headlight fuse to each headlight common

High and Low beam terminal of each light to Hi/Lo switch (they become connected in parallel in the harness out by the lights)

The "arm" of the Hi/Lo Switch is connected to Ground.

If neither of the headlights and the park lights don't work, try shorting across the head light switch (the large Red to the White with red stripe for the headlights, the other two wires for the park lights.)

Let me know if you need more detail on IDing the connectors, or whatever.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pete,

Haven't been here in a while so I missed this

one totally.

Got the headlites to turn on. I had to run a

B+ wire to the headlites themselves, connected them to the GND terminals and then

connected everything to the thick red wire

thats hot when the jeadlite switch is on.

Park lites were connected to those too cuz I

couldn't find the hot wire for them. Should

be OK.

Now I just need to figure out the wiring for

the wipers.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Dude, ask away. I have all the 73 240Z wiring schematics THAT I deciphered from the harnesses. I know what every damn wire on the car connects to and I have figured out how each circuit works. Not bragging, I just spent an inordinate amount of time on this so the thing would no longer be a mystery as I modify things. The headlight circuit is a TRIP! The wipers aren't too bad. A relay under the glovebox with a white connector, and the wiper switch and fuses. Let me know what isn't working. It sounds like you may be missing a hot wire from/to the fuse box. There are the two large white plastic six position connectors to it and two other single wires that hook to the harness. Check that. I can get you detailed info on how this hooks up if you want.

Best of Luck,

Pete

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited April 25, 2000).]

Owen, I put the 18 circuit Painless (not true!) wiring harness in my car without any problems except for the wipers. It drove me nuts because you ground everything through the switch except the stupid parking reed switch that is under that little round cap on the wiper gearbox.

The reed switch is not isolated from ground so you can not run a hot wire to it. But if you just ground it the wipers keep on running. Stock uses a relay to control this and, by the way I only have two speeds because I replaced the swith with a three position toggle version.

Anyway, I ended up taking the rivets out of the reed switch and using some really small grommets (from my RC cars) to isolate the switch from ground. This way the wiper switch provided the ground to operate the motor until you turned it off which broke the ground circuit. However, the motor is still grounded through the reed switch until the cam lobe on the disk rotates around and opens the circuit. Of course you can adjust the park position by loosening the two screws that hold the switch on turning it until the wipers park in the correct position.

Hope you can understand this and it helps. It took me hours to figure this out.

Hi,

Been waiting to see if anyone is doing this

just started to put a 12 curcit (Painless)in my 72.

I have the dash out and looking at this,boy.

I have moved my fuse box behind the seats and under the consel, made a pigtail to make it stretch.

Now I need to figure out where the wires go on the new panel.

Does anyone have a schetch?

Any help would be great

Can one just move the wires from one panel and put them on the other?

Or do you have to run new hot wires to everything?

Thanks

Adam