HybridZ

?4 BLKMGK,?4Scottie GNZ

BLKMGK, you mention a spring tensioner for the procharger. I hate setting mine in relation to the belt dust. Is this for the cogged belt only? Does it have enough tension for the ribbed belt design. $$?

Scottie, You've played with different intercoolers. What fits well into the Z front end w/o hacking up metal. The 3 row ATI is too big unless I move my radiator inboard and place intercooler there. Max efficiency, hp potential spoken here, please.

JS

Hope you do not mind a long-winded response with my opinions.

I am working with a tight budget so the NPR provides me the best bang for the buck.

That aside, if I had the bucks and was looking for the ultimate I/C package, I would go with an air-to-water unit and build an ice-box for the track. A properly configured A-to-A I/C will run about $600-700 and although I have not really priced it, I believe an A-to-W I/C would run another $400+. $400 sounds like a lot but I really believe you could not buy the HP difference for $400. With an inexpensive ice-box keeping the water at 45-degrees, the A-to-W I/C has an efficiency up in the mid-hi 90% range and a pressure drop of LESS THAN .2psi (note the decimal point :cool smile.gif Imagine a boosted engine with the intake charge temp in the intake being cooler than ambient.

The A-to-W unit provides another BIG advantage. Because the V-6 leaves so much room and heat soak is not a big issue, it can be located between the radiator AND the engine and leave all the room you want forward of the radiator. That also makes up for the $400+ with less elaborate I/C plumbing and less concerns about plumbing big oil and trans coolers up front.

The big problem with I/Cs in the Z cars is getting the 2 I/C pipes and the air filter plumbed in front of the radiator. I found it impossible to get all 3 routed on one side. Even if you opened up the hole as big as it can get, the front of the inner fenderwell will need to be massaged pretty well. In any case, at a minimum you need to get one I/C pipe and the air filter pipe through there. If you are looking at serious HP then thats a 2.5" I/C and probably a 4" air filter pipe.

If you want to stick with a A-to-A I/C, my suggestion would be to carefully design the shape and plumbing, then contact Spearco and Corky Bell at Cartech and have them select the right core and tanks for a custom I/C. Taking that route, you can come up with any crazy size/shape I/C you want and they will build it, but you still have to get those pipes pass the radiator. Remember an A-to-W I/C can be more compact because of how the water flows through it and it not needing to be in the airflow. As for the ice-box, the biggest concern is building one that does not allow the condensation to fall on the track.

I have rambled enough....Scottie

Thank you Scottie! Just the info I need. biggrin.gif I'm inclined, as is my budget to stay with the air to air. If I were more dedicated to the 1/4 mi I'd probably save for the A/W. Good info! Now...what is Cartech's #?

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited July 03, 2000).]